CLUB CRUISE 2016

Isle of Shoals

15 June 2015 | Isle of Shoals
Cathy
The long voyage to the Isle of Shoals took about 7 hours, with fairly calm seas. It was such a long leg that even Troy did not sleep the whole way. He woke with a couple hours left to the trip and sat in my lap for a time and on the dashboard. He got restless, so I built him a little shelter out of pillows and he crawled in and stayed there until we arrived at our destination. He is such a good boat cat.

The Isle of Shoals is a great place to visit by boat, with a sheltered harbor and beautiful scenery. Some of the islands are in New Hampshire and some in Maine. There are many islands including Star Island that has a large hotel called the Oceanic Hotel and also Smuttynose Island where the murders took place back in 1873. Some believe that an innocent man was hanged for the murders when in fact it was the surviving women who actually killed her sister and sister in-law. But other accounts do point to the man that was convicted.

It was a beautiful day and there were many boats moored in the harbor. But by evening, most boats left and it was only Wildflower and one other boat there for the night.

We woke to rain, but fairly calm seas so we headed to Portsmouth Yacht Club to fuel up and fill the water tank. We made the decision to continue on to Biddeford Pool Yacht Club as planned, despite the bad weather. Our fly bridge is enclosed so once on our way, we stayed dry. Troy has decided that the pillow tent is better than he usual beach towel, so I had to do that again to get him to sleep. The worst part of the trip was dodging all those lobster trap buoys, there are so many of them out there.

We reached our destination around 1:30. George tried to log onto his iPad and proceeded to spend the next hour or more on the phone with Verizon customer service. He finally got his cellular data fixed after help from three people on the phone. After that was fixed we started the generator and it shut itself down due to sea grass clogging the hose leading to the generator strainer. That took another hour to fix. This was not how we planned to spend our afternoon. But we are now relaxing with an evening cocktail with Troy fast asleep under his blanket. It does not get much better than this.

Tomorrow we head to Casco Bay, weather permitting.
Comments
Vessel Name: WILDFLOWER
Vessel Make/Model: Mainship 34 Trawler
Hailing Port: Edgewood YC - Cranston, RI
Crew: George, Cathy & Troy
WILDFLOWER's Photos - Main
3 Photos
Created 30 July 2016
12 Photos
Created 1 July 2015
11 Photos
Created 24 June 2015
16 Photos
Created 10 June 2015
Our first mate
6 Photos
Created 29 June 2013

Summer Cruise 2016

Who: George, Cathy & Troy
Port: Edgewood YC - Cranston, RI
PORTS OF CALL: Dutch Harbor, Watch Hill, Mystic Seaport, Stonington and Block Island