CLUB CRUISE 2016

Chebeague Island/Handy Boat Yard

28 June 2015
Cathy
We left Freeport on beautiful day, making a very short trip south to Great Chebeague Island. We stayed on the east side of the island this time. Four years ago we anchored on the western side. The Chebeague Island Boat Yard was small, quiet and very enjoyable. They had a great store called the Niblic that sold beautiful gifts, wine, and sandwiches and baked goods. The moorings were just put in so they were clean and only cost $25 a night. What a bargain. Crows Island was east of us, with people camping on the small-uninhabited island.

We took a long walk to the Chebeague Island Inn, a beautiful place built in 1880 that overlooks Casco Bay and a golf course. We had a cocktail on the lovely veranda then headed back to check on Troy. He was anxious to get out and enjoy the sunshine. We were preparing dinner when the seal showed up off our starboard side. We thought we had lost him in Freeport, but there he was.

We woke early, dropped the mooring and headed around the southern part of the island and over to Handy Boat Yard. Handy has a very large mooring field and is next door to the Portland Yacht Club, which also has a lot of boats and it was very busy. We were lucky to get a mooring right in front of the docks, I was afraid they were going to put us way out in the bay. George took a cab to pick up his truck and hit the marine store (our horn does not work so he ordered a new one). I spend the day cleaning and packing, while Troy never moved from under his beach towel up on the fly bridge. He finally woke when George returned.

Handy has a great restaurant and bar so we headed in to enjoy happy hour. After we returned to Wildflower we were up on the fly bridge grilling a pizza, when the seal showed up again off the side of the boat. I just know that it has to be the same seal; same color and size.

Friday morning Troy had his first ride in a launch. We are always at a dock when he gets on and off the boat, but this time I had to take him in his carrier on the Handy Boat launch. Needless to say, he was scared and jumping around, trying to get out. But he survived and slept all the way home. The ordeal must have worn him out as he has been sleeping since we returned home, only getting up occasionally to eat. We head back to the boat on Monday and head to Boothbay.
Comments
Vessel Name: WILDFLOWER
Vessel Make/Model: Mainship 34 Trawler
Hailing Port: Edgewood YC - Cranston, RI
Crew: George, Cathy & Troy
WILDFLOWER's Photos - Main
3 Photos
Created 30 July 2016
12 Photos
Created 1 July 2015
11 Photos
Created 24 June 2015
16 Photos
Created 10 June 2015
Our first mate
6 Photos
Created 29 June 2013

Summer Cruise 2016

Who: George, Cathy & Troy
Port: Edgewood YC - Cranston, RI
PORTS OF CALL: Dutch Harbor, Watch Hill, Mystic Seaport, Stonington and Block Island