CLUB CRUISE 2016

Northeast Harbor, Mount Desert Island

22 July 2015
Cathy
Well it turned out to be a rainy, windy day after all in Bucks Harbor and we never left the boat. We did some boat chores, but it was a lazy day. You need one of these days once and awhile to slow the pace down. On Sunday morning the sun was out and it was a beautiful day to head to Northeast Harbor at Mount Desert Island. We left Bucks Harbor with Gypsea not far behind us around 10:00.

The Eggemoggin Reach was dead calm and we were the only boat out there. After going under the bridge that goes over to Deer Island things changed. We were heading into a fog bank and at the same time there were so many lobster trap buoys it was like going through a minefield. There were thousands of them that we had to avoid as we made our way through Jericho Bay to the narrow Casco Passage. We were lucky not to have snagged one. Once into Blue Hill Bay the fog began to lift and the lobster traps were fewer in number. We could see the mountains rising up from the fog and it was quite a spectacular sight. The seas were a little rough as we made the turn to head north up to Mount Desert Island. Once in Northeast Harbor, it was quite nice. We picked up a harbor float, while Gypsea picked up a mooring.

Troy was good the whole trip. He only got up once and crawled into my lap for a short time, then went back under his beach towel to sleep. We had to keep a close eye on him as there was a sailboat sharing the harbor float with us and I can tell he wants to go on it like he did with Seaquill, but I don't think that grumpy guy likes cats. When Troy jumped on the dock and I went to fetch him I made a joke about Troy jumping on his boat and he just grunted at me.

Monday morning, Dan, Daria, George and I hoped on the launch and went across the bay to the Asticou Inn, a beautiful place overlooking the harbor with elaborate gardens to walk around in. After our walk we had lunch in the Inn, lobster salad, lobster roll and lobster quiche, plus their famous popovers. They have been serving those for over 100 years. We saw so may lobster traps on our way here it seemed fit to have them for lunch. After lunch we all hopped on the free island bus and headed to Bar Harbor, going through the Acadia National Park. It is just so beautiful here. Bar Harbor was crowded with tourist, so we did not stay long.

When we returned to Wildflower we found a new boat sharing our harbor dock, a nice family with two kids and a dog. That will keep Troy on our boat, as he is afraid of dogs and kids. The little girl was very friendly and we chatted with the family. They are from Maine and they were interested in all the places we had been.

Tuesday we headed over to Southwest Harbor to stay on the docks for a while. We were then thinking of heading to Stonington next and then Rockport for a day or two before going back to Rockland and going home for a few days. Lately I feel like a nomad just wandering aimlessly around Maine. It is a good feeling, like a free spirit with no schedule or plan to adhere to. Boating is a lot of work, but it is definitely worth it.
Comments
Vessel Name: WILDFLOWER
Vessel Make/Model: Mainship 34 Trawler
Hailing Port: Edgewood YC - Cranston, RI
Crew: George, Cathy & Troy
WILDFLOWER's Photos - Main
3 Photos
Created 30 July 2016
12 Photos
Created 1 July 2015
11 Photos
Created 24 June 2015
16 Photos
Created 10 June 2015
Our first mate
6 Photos
Created 29 June 2013

Summer Cruise 2016

Who: George, Cathy & Troy
Port: Edgewood YC - Cranston, RI
PORTS OF CALL: Dutch Harbor, Watch Hill, Mystic Seaport, Stonington and Block Island