CLUB CRUISE 2016

Northeast Harbor, Mount Desert Island

09 August 2015
Cathy
We woke Wednesday to a beautiful day. All the predictions of bad weather changed so we decided to drop the moorings and head to Northeast Harbor on Mount Desert Island. We have stayed there already this summer, but it is so beautiful we looked forward to going back there again. We arrived around 1:00 and picked up a harbor float. Seaquill will pick up the other side of the float.

We had Denise and Jack over for dinner for skillet lasagna. It came out pretty good. I have to make due without an oven. We had a little rain that evening but woke to a beautiful day. We headed into town to do a little shopping and ran into Edie and Peter who were out riding bikes. During lunch we persuaded them to move their boat from Southwest Harbor and join us over here. We all headed into town that evening for French Wine and Food with a great string quartet. It was very nice.

The next day we all headed over to the Asticou Inn for breakfast. I am getting accustom to having lobster for breakfast, the lobster benedict was amazing. After breakfast we all split up, Edie and Peter were going to climb Cadillac Mountain, Jack and Denise headed back to their boat and George and I headed up to the Thuya Gardens. The gardens were beautiful and the old cottage was a nice treat to tour. After leaving the gardens we decided to take the trail to Jordan Pond, a 3-mile trek through the woods. It was a great hike, but once at the pond we thought it would be best to take the bus home. That is what I love about Acadia National Park; you can pick up a free bus from almost any place.

Friday night was laundry night, not very exciting. Troy is back to jumping off the boat onto the dock. He hasn't made it over to Jacks boat yet, we catch him in time and he comes scurrying back to Wildflower. He loves watching the seagulls and ducks. He is very at home on the boat and the fresh air has increased his appetite, I think he is gaining weight.

Saturday Peter, Edie, George and I headed to Bass Harbor to take the ferry over to Frenchboro on Long Island for their annual lobster bake. They usually have around 400 people attend and the locals on the island put it on. It was great checking out the one room schoolhouse, museum and gift shop and then having the delicious lobster dinner. I've been waiting all summer for it and it came with homemade pie. After dinner we attended a presentation about how all the islands now have the means to participate in teleconference teaching with the other one-room schoolhouses on the other Maine islands. Frenchboro only has 3 students.

At the end of the day, they had the raffle but we did not win anything. Then they surprised us with auctioning off the left over lobster. I came home with 5 cooked lobsters, 3 for me and 2 for Edie. We headed back to the ferry dock and while sitting waiting for the ferry to arrive Edie and I were chatting with an nice guy who turned out to be the captain of a big boat docked next to us called Sunbeam. We told him we were heading to Bass Harbor then by taxi to Northeast Harbor and he then offered us a ride back to Northeast Harbor on his boat. He had a group of donors that he brought over for the lobster bake but had room for us, as he was not full. What a wonderful treat, it was a beautiful boat and going back to our harbor, no need for the taxi.

Once back we all joined Jack and Denise for drinks and talked about our great adventures of the day. Tomorrow Seaquill and Django are heading back toward Rockland to go home for a spell. We will stay here another day and then head over to the Wooden Boat School for a night and then decide where to go from there.
Comments
Vessel Name: WILDFLOWER
Vessel Make/Model: Mainship 34 Trawler
Hailing Port: Edgewood YC - Cranston, RI
Crew: George, Cathy & Troy
WILDFLOWER's Photos - Main
3 Photos
Created 30 July 2016
12 Photos
Created 1 July 2015
11 Photos
Created 24 June 2015
16 Photos
Created 10 June 2015
Our first mate
6 Photos
Created 29 June 2013

Summer Cruise 2016

Who: George, Cathy & Troy
Port: Edgewood YC - Cranston, RI
PORTS OF CALL: Dutch Harbor, Watch Hill, Mystic Seaport, Stonington and Block Island