CLUB CRUISE 2016

Northeast Harbor to Port Clyde

14 August 2015
Cathy
Sunday we said goodbye to Jack and Denise, they are heading to Rockland and home for a while. We will be heading south before they return so we will not see them again in Maine. Edie and Peter also left for Rockland and are heading home for a few days. We may see them again in Casco Bay when they return and also head back toward Rhode Island.

I made lobster benedict for breakfast with some of the lobster meat I brought home from Frenchboro. I got two thumbs up from George. I didn't bother giving any to Troy, as he does not like lobster. We then hopped on one of the islands free buses and went into Bar Harbor for an ice cream cone and to walk around. It was pretty crowded so we did not stay long. The bus goes through the Acadia National Park so the ride is very scenic. Once back on Wildflower, I made lobster rolls with the remainder of the lobster, I did not want it to go to waste.

Monday was a beautiful day so we headed out of Northeast Harbor and took a cruise up Somes Sound, a fjord that is 4 miles long and 150 feet deep, surrounded by mountains. It is quite beautiful. After leaving the sound, we headed to the Wooden Boat School located on the Eggemoggin Reach. They have guest moorings and they let you walk around the grounds of the school and even watch the students work on boats. There were quite a few wooden sailboats in the harbor and they give sailing lessons during the day and let the students use them in the evening.

A storm was coming on later on Tuesday so we decided to head into Camden. That was not a good choice. They put us on a mooring in the outer harbor and we when the storm hit we were being tossed around like a toy boat. It started mid afternoon and lasted well into the night. It was the worst night we have spent on the boat since we came to Maine. But we made it through the night and the next morning we borrowed the courtesy car and drove up to Searsport to pick up a new anchor that George had ordered from Hamilton Marine. We headed out late morning down to Rockland and stayed on the town docks. We needed a calm day to recover.

While on the dock we pulled out all the chain and tagged it and put on the new anchor. As we worked we had an audience, as our neighbor on the dock was a small cruise ship filled with elderly people. They would all stop by and chat with George and admire Troy as he walked around the deck. Some even took his picture. We wanted to stay on the docks another night but they are having a boat show so they kicked up off and sent us out to the mooring field. Friday morning we did go in and spend a little time at the boat show and I got to tour my favorite boat, a 38-foot Sabre. I love that boat, but it is out of our price range, but it was fun to look at it.

We headed out of Rockland just before noon and went down Muscle Ridge, where after traveling 720 miles we finally hit a lobster buoy. But it was no match for our 4-blade propeller and exploded into a thousand pieces. We then rounded Mosquito Island and Marshall Point to Port Clyde, a wonderful small town. We picked this port because we have tickets on the ferry over to Monhegan Island tomorrow, which goes out of Port Clyde. We walked around town and stopped in a few shops. Linda Bean, the grand daughter of LL Bean owns the General Store and the Ocean Inn, both very nice places. It is very peaceful here and we are glad we made this stop.
Comments
Vessel Name: WILDFLOWER
Vessel Make/Model: Mainship 34 Trawler
Hailing Port: Edgewood YC - Cranston, RI
Crew: George, Cathy & Troy
WILDFLOWER's Photos - Main
3 Photos
Created 30 July 2016
12 Photos
Created 1 July 2015
11 Photos
Created 24 June 2015
16 Photos
Created 10 June 2015
Our first mate
6 Photos
Created 29 June 2013

Summer Cruise 2016

Who: George, Cathy & Troy
Port: Edgewood YC - Cranston, RI
PORTS OF CALL: Dutch Harbor, Watch Hill, Mystic Seaport, Stonington and Block Island