s/v Libertad

26 May 2017
20 May 2017
18 May 2017 | Isla Providencia
18 May 2017 | Isla Providencia
17 May 2017 | Grand Cayman to Isla Providencia
16 May 2017 | Grand Cayman to Isla Providencia
09 May 2017 | Grand Cayman
04 May 2017 | Cienfuegos, Cuba
03 May 2017 | Jardines de la Reina, Cuba
02 May 2017 | Jardines de la Reina, Cuba
01 May 2017 | Jardines de la Reina, Cuba
28 April 2017 | Jardines de la Reina, Cuba
27 April 2017
26 April 2017 | Cayman Islands
20 April 2017
18 April 2017

Cabo to La Paz

24 February 2011
Virginia and Dennis Johns
Friday, February 18th, finished up clearing into Mexico with a visit to the Capitania de Puerto. That turned out to be a breeze. After submitting our papers which were quite in order, the official asked if we habla espanol and Dennis cautiously responded un pequeno (a little –which is some distance from the truth). She proceeded to rattle off a lengthy explanation of what we needed to do next and all we could identify was “Mastercard”. So focusing on that word, we were able to discern that we could use our Mastercard for the port entry fee, avoiding a second round-trip trip to the bank which was now across town rather than across the street (as it was from Immigracion) and the embarrassment of ultimately revealing no working grasp of Spanish. We were out of there in less than 30 minutes.

We had hauled our dirty clothes ashore to use a self-service laundromat but the charge for us to use the machines was 90% of the price for them to do the “complete service” - $10 for two loads. So it wasn’t a hard decision to spend that extra $1 to give us all afternoon to ourselves. We had gotten directions to a tackle shop (Dennis needed to replace the lure he lost on the lobster pot and having no luck on fishing up to this point, wanted some pointers). In searching for the shop we were directed to, we discovered a second tackle shop, Minerva’s (side note: the directions included a strip joint as a landmark which provided Dennis some material with which to have fun with Virginia). The first tackle shop was full of customers, so we headed to Minerva’s. This shop had twice the gear and half the customers of the other. Dennis explained his lack of knowledge to the woman behind the counter, expecting her to direct him to the “fisherman” owner. To his surprise and exposing his sexism, she suggested we come back with our rods at 5pm and she would give us a lesson on setting them up. We thanked her and asked her name, she responded “Minerva”. We returned as requested and it was wonderful. She was so nice, so knowledgeable, and didn’t try and push a lot of expensive gear on us (the previous customer’s bill came to $900!). What a delight. Odd that she had so few customers, perhaps machismo is still alive and well and Mexican fishermen are reluctant to take fishing instructions from a woman. We walked through the outdoor shops selling wares. Dennis bought a leather belt and Virginia bought a sundress and wrap. We took a three mile round trip walk to Walmart as we were told they would have 3G cards for internet connection. They didn’t have the cards, but it was good exercise, felt good to stretch the legs and warm the body in the hot sun. It was shorts weather that day until late in the evening. We also went to the Super Mercado and bought some produce as we were all out of fruit. Quite a productive day. Our fold up handcart got its first workout hauling two large Rubbermaid containers (which normally house our sheets and towels) of laundry and groceries; it worked out quite well. I think it was Liz Copeland’s book that suggested those containers as great all-purpose bins for storage, hauling, hand washing laundry, etc. Glad we brought some.

Saturday, February 19th weather report says we will have very mild north winds and not until the afternoon so we decided to make our short 15 mile hop to Puerto de los Cabos, in Cabo San Jose, after lunch but unfortunately not before the API officials dropped by to extract an anchoring fee. Not reading about this fee in any of the guides or current Baja HaHa notes and having not been confronted with it in the last three trips to Cabo, we were somewhat skeptical that they were official. After several minutes of negotiation, it appeared that they were legitimate and that this was a new fee as of January, $10 per night. Better let Richard of the Baja HaHa organization know about it to set the fleet’s expectations for next year. We had a reservation at the new marina in Cabo San Jose (no anchorage available). As we readied the boat to head out, we saw the Cabo San Lucas jr. lifeguards doing exercises and practicing rescues on the beach near us. It appears that red shorts are the international standard for lifeguards.

We didn’t have much wind when we left and when it did fill in it was not from the north, but on our nose so we had to motor. About an hour or two outside Cabo San Jose, the wind picked up and with most of the afternoon at our disposal, Dennis decided to sail, turning off the motor and tacking our way to the marina. Another sailboat was doing likewise so of course Dennis considered it a ‘race’. We had to reef as the first mate insisted after 20+ knots apparent and heeling 30 degrees – but we still ‘won’ –the other boat having quite a lead on us to start but Dennis seemed to make the most of the more favorable tacking angles. We saw some more grey whales as we neared the harbor entrance. We had a quiet night in the marina. There was a small restaurant there, but it was kind of late and we had eaten out a lot in Cabo San Lucas (returning to some of our favorites as well as sampling new spots) and were ready for some home cooking. Plus we had a strong Internet connection there and needed to catch up on bill paying, blog posting, and such. The marina is still under development. They have a “Dolphin Discovery” pool where you can swim with dolphins but the restrooms and showers aren’t built yet, using temporary buildings with one shower for the whole marina (men and women share). But from the landscaping, complete with an extensive malecon/promenade around the edge of the marina with informational plaques and sculptures, you can see they have plans to make it a destination spot. The staff were very nice and helpful. At $110/night for a slip it was kind of expensive, but that’s Cabo for you. Slips without power were half price and three times the distance from the office and restrooms/shower.

Sunday, February 20th. The wind is supposed to be fair today, but getting a bit stronger the following day, so we decided to head out immediately for the next anchorage, Los Frailes. We left about 0730 after giving the boat a fresh water rinse. Dennis noticed that the waypoint in the cruising guide is off about 60 miles for Frailes – fortunately he always double checks on a paper chart. We aren’t using our electronic chart plotting tools (Capn and Visual Passage Planner) yet. Dennis had it all set up on the older laptop in San Diego for the first leg of our trip and then the laptop screen went black and we had to power down without closing/saving anything. Now the charting products are not happy on that laptop and we’ll need to contact tech support to straighten it out. We had it all installed on our newer laptop as well; Dennis just needs to set up some of the particulars again. He decided not to use it for this basically coastal sailing. We’ll use it when we head to the Mexico mainland.

We motored all the way, most of the time in 20 knot winds, which increased as we got closer to the anchorage so the last few miles seemed like they took forever; we were only making 3-4 knots headway and lots of spray over the bow –so much for the fresh water rinse! The strong wind had arrived a day earlier than predicted – weather predictions are after all really just that. We saw two humpback whales frolicking for a long time. The still digital camera didn’t catch them breaching, but you can see one the whales slapping its tail on the water – an exercise it kept up for some time. We’re going to keep the video camera closer at hand for times like that. We saw another pair later, but they weren’t as active. It was a nice diversion from the beating we were taking. There were three other sailboats in the anchorage when we arrived and two powerboats followed later. The anchorage was not protected from the wind so it gave us a good opportunity to test our increasing skill at dropping and setting the anchor in less than favorable conditions. But the anchorage was well protected from the swell so we were comfortable, listening to the wind howl in our rigging all night and giving our wind generator a good workout. The conditions prevented us from venturing ashore or visiting other boats. There were tent campers on the beach. When we talked to our son that night on the sat phone, he said “there are palapas on the beach” - he had seen our position report and zoomed in on the Google Earth view while he was talking with us. Our last family vacation with Darren, when he was just out of college, was a camping trip to Baja. He was enchanted by the beach palapas we encountered on that trip and that visual reminder stimulated his deja vu.

Monday, February 21. Since the wind was predicted to persist (about 12-15 knots, but we would be headed straight into it), we decided to spend an extra day at Los Frailes and wait for the 5-8 knot wind predicted on subsequent days. Watching the whitecaps develop out on the Sea of Cortez beyond the point protecting the anchorage, we were glad we had stayed put. Another sailboat and one of the power boats did likewise. We thought if the wind did calm down we would kayak to the landmark living coral reef (the only live one in the Sea of Cortez) later in the day, but we didn’t get that lull so we spent the day reading, cleaning the boat, and baking brownies.

Tuesday, February 22nd we left at first light (0630) to motor in light north winds to Ensenada de los Muertos. At 0715 we caught our first fish! As Dennis was busy cleaning it on the cutting board he cleverly installed on the swim step off the stern (no blood and guts in/on the boat!), Virginia watched a pod of about 30 dolphins and a whale off our port. While cleaning, Dennis cut his thumb, so he’ll be excused from dishes duty for a few days. Dennis got the fish and boat all cleaned up and encouraged that fish were hitting his new rig, he put the lines back in expecting to catch a BIG one. At 0745 just a few moments later, whammo – another one on the line. We think these were either bonito or amberjacks. The second one was bigger but we just snapped a picture and released it as we had enough for a few days from the first one. A bit later we caught a third one, much smaller (also released). It was a helluva day at sea!

Muertos is a beautiful protected cove. We kayaked around the bay, over to the point, and out to visit another sailboat. Fred and Cindy of Songline, a 38’ steel-hulled ketch, are from Alaska. They had planned to take our intended route, down mainland Mexico, Central America, Ecuador, Galapagos before heading to the Marquesas, but they got “started late” (boy that sounds familiar) and so they are headed back to Cabo to make the jump to the Marquesas. They had been in LaPaz for a few months and gave us some ideas on where to stay and services. We also went ashore to the “yacht club” – an outdoor restaurant – and had a beer and some nachos. The cruising guide explains how the developers didn’t think “muertos” (buried anchors, aka “dead men”) created the right atmosphere so they renamed the area, Bay of Dreams (which is inscribed on the arch over the club path). It was deserted – we were the only ones there. That night we had bbq’d fish (what else!) – yummy.

Wednesday, February 23rd, we left at sunrise for La Paz. Predictions were that we would be sailing into light north wind. Just past Muertos we passed Isla Cerralvo. As it is the furthest island south in the Sea of Cortez, we felt like we were finally in The Sea. Again, the wind cranked up and by noon it was quite uncomfortable and the wind was continuing to increase. Dennis headed us towards shore and anchored us in a little, unnamed, cove just south of San Rosario. There was a single house on the beach surrounded by a large field of cactus, and a nice big rock cliff to provide protection from the WNW wind and swell. A catamaran had been following us from Muertos, but they soldiered on. We had a peaceful lunch and stayed there for several hours but as the wind clocked around to the north the cove became uncomfortable and with a lee shore condition. We considered our options – beat on to La Paz or go back to Muertos. It was getting later in the afternoon and often the wind would lighten up as the sun set, so we decided to wait another hour. Fortunately, it died down enough that we were able to comfortably resume our leg to La Paz at a clip of 5.5 kts. We cleared the treacherous San Lorenzo Channel as the sun made a glorious setting but we didn’t want to traverse the entrance channel to La Paz at night (it’s a narrow, shallow, four-mile long channel), so we tucked into Balandra Cove just past the San Lorenzo Channel. We had the place to ourselves and it was quiet and peaceful when we arrived. We had dinner and watched a movie. We didn’t get to finish our movie as our LCD panel fizzled midstream – bummer! Another project for Dennis when we arrive in La Paz. Then the wind came up blowing 15 knots out of the west and we got so much swell we started porpoising. Again on a lee shore, we decided to keep an anchor watch. Dennis took 2200-2400 and Virginia 2400 to 0200. The anchor seemed to be staying set so we tried to get some sleep after that. We had fitful rest for the next few hours. At one point Dennis had to awaken Virginia who was having a nightmare and screaming ‘Dennis help us’ (she and one of her sisters were being chased in a warehouse) – too many mystery novels on her Kindle!

We were up at first light, 0530, and headed into the La Paz channel. It was beautiful watching the sunrise over La Paz. A big freighter was anchored at the entrance of the channel that is marked with navigation buoys so we had to go around him. We knew from the charts and past experience that the channel itself wasn’t very deep (30 feet) and it was very shallow outside the channel so Virginia kept a close watch on the depth gauge as Dennis maneuvered around the freighter. It was clear that we weren’t going to make the first two buoys and Dennis knew this might be trouble so he slowed down. Only a few feet from being inside the buoys when Virginia sounded the alert that the bottom was getting shallow fast, Dennis put the boat into reverse and scraped a bit of paint off the keel as the depth reading was just a bit over 5 feet (for our 6.5 foot boat) and we could feel the boat starting to drag across the bottom. Fortunately, reverse gear spun us around and dragged us off the shoal and finally into the dredged channel. We listened to the local VHF net on our way in and duly reported ourselves as newcomers when requested. By 0830 we were anchored off downtown La Paz in a calm anchorage with lots of other boats. Before we had the boat all in order with sails and lines stowed, our neighbor, Robert in a nice, wooden 32’ ketch with a bowsprit, had come by to welcome us to La Paz.

We had planned on getting some sleep once we were anchored, but decided we could do that any time. We were in La Paz and ready to explore! We dinghied ashore and made arrangements for a slip in Marina de la Paz for three nights. We’ll spend this first night in the anchorage. We checked on the price of getting the bottom of the boat painted and will likely have that done before we leave here. We walked the downtown area, had lunch, bought some produce at the farmers’ market, picked up some ice cream bars and some groceries (including warm fresh tortillas) at the Mercado, and headed back to the boat to prepare this blog so that we can post it manana when we have wifi in the marina. We have also now organized our photos for this first part of the trip and will try to post them as well.

We are still enjoying ourselves, thoroughly!
Comments
Vessel Name: Libertad
Vessel Make/Model: Amel Maramu, 46'
Hailing Port: Santa Barbara, California
Crew: Dennis Johns, Virginia Johns
About:
We bought our Amel in 2000 and spent the next 11 years preparing for our retirement cruise - a westward circumnavigation. We are members of the Santa Barbara Sail and Power Squadron and have taken many of the USPS courses. [...]
Libertad's Photos - Main
3 Photos
Created 24 May 2017
4 Photos
Created 20 May 2017
59 Photos
Created 9 May 2017
91 Photos
Created 28 April 2017
19 Photos
Created 26 April 2017
23 Photos
Created 9 April 2017
58 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
6 Photos
Created 27 March 2017
12 Photos
Created 19 March 2017
48 Photos
Created 11 March 2017
34 Photos
Created 4 March 2017
4 Photos
Created 3 March 2017
26 Photos
Created 27 February 2017
67 Photos
Created 6 February 2017
33 Photos
Created 25 January 2017
39 Photos
Created 23 January 2017
18 Photos
Created 22 January 2017
46 Photos
Created 17 January 2017
48 Photos
Created 9 January 2017
20 Photos
Created 31 December 2015
41 Photos
Created 11 November 2015
sorry...these pictures are showing in reverse order. I had to do this on an album that has the maximum number of pictures of course! Please start at last pic and back-up through them. again, sorry!
120 Photos
Created 11 November 2015
28 Photos
Created 28 September 2015
83 Photos
Created 25 September 2015
41 Photos
Created 23 September 2015
49 Photos
Created 13 September 2015
47 Photos
Created 15 August 2015
66 Photos
Created 12 August 2015
78 Photos
Created 11 August 2015
46 Photos
Created 9 August 2015
32 Photos
Created 4 August 2015
88 Photos
Created 3 August 2015
56 Photos
Created 29 July 2015
102 Photos
Created 25 July 2015
Catacombs, Luxembourg Gardens, Orsay, Seine River, Night Life at Eiffel and Statue of Liberty
67 Photos
Created 21 July 2015
Louvre, L'Orangerie, Notre Dame, Pompidou, Stravinsky Fountain
52 Photos
Created 19 July 2015
Versailles
49 Photos
Created 18 July 2015
Monet Gardens, Sacre Coeur, Eiffel Tower, Rodin Museum, Arc de Triomphe
57 Photos
Created 15 July 2015
25 Photos
Created 6 July 2015
Santa Barbara Summer Solstice Parade 2015
35 Photos
Created 1 July 2015
27 Photos
Created 7 November 2014
73 Photos
Created 7 November 2014
73 Photos
Created 7 November 2014
19 Photos
Created 7 November 2014
84 Photos
Created 30 October 2014
66 Photos
Created 30 October 2014
76 Photos
Created 24 October 2014
30 Photos
Created 24 October 2014
22 Photos
Created 24 October 2014
35 Photos
Created 17 October 2014
76 Photos
Created 17 October 2014
12 Photos
Created 17 October 2014
75 Photos
Created 17 October 2014
73 Photos
Created 17 October 2014
93 Photos
Created 17 October 2014
113 Photos
Created 7 September 2014
46 Photos
Created 7 September 2014
19 Photos
Created 9 August 2014
47 Photos
Created 9 August 2014
19 Photos
Created 9 August 2014
116 Photos
Created 11 July 2014
48 Photos
Created 10 July 2014
105 Photos
Created 6 July 2014
110 Photos
Created 6 July 2014
107 Photos
Created 1 July 2014
85 Photos
Created 25 June 2014
59 Photos
Created 23 June 2014
9 Photos
Created 13 June 2014
61 Photos
Created 11 June 2014
83 Photos
Created 11 June 2014
37 Photos
Created 5 June 2014
56 Photos
Created 5 June 2014
16 Photos
Created 26 May 2014
75 Photos
Created 25 May 2014
27 Photos
Created 16 May 2014
68 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
83 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
103 Photos
Created 7 May 2014
94 Photos
Created 4 May 2014
116 Photos
Created 26 April 2014
96 Photos
Created 25 April 2014
103 Photos
Created 25 April 2014
59 Photos
Created 25 April 2014
107 Photos
Created 4 March 2014
120 Photos
Created 14 December 2013
120 Photos
Created 14 December 2013
40 Photos
Created 25 October 2013
104 Photos
Created 24 October 2013
112 Photos
Created 24 October 2013
97 Photos
Created 24 October 2013
31 Photos
Created 25 September 2013
117 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
110 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
110 Photos
Created 30 July 2013
61 Photos
Created 29 July 2013
101 Photos
Created 27 May 2013
59 Photos
Created 26 May 2013
77 Photos
Created 25 May 2013
13 Photos
Created 4 April 2013
Feb 21 added a couple photos
14 Photos
Created 19 February 2013
13 Photos
Created 30 January 2013
80 Photos
Created 12 November 2012
56 Photos
Created 12 November 2012
34 Photos
Created 19 October 2012
53 Photos
Created 19 October 2012
55 Photos
Created 27 September 2012
21 Photos
Created 27 September 2012
8 Photos
Created 27 September 2012
33 Photos
Created 1 September 2012
106 Photos
Created 1 September 2012
35 Photos
Created 20 August 2012
sorry that these are out of order, we crossed in February on our way from Panama to Ecuador - thought these were posted but guess not, so here they are
6 Photos
Created 20 August 2012
added many more pictures
45 Photos
Created 20 August 2012
13 Photos
Created 6 June 2012
117 Photos
Created 6 June 2012
115 Photos
Created 12 April 2012
94 Photos
Created 13 March 2012
18 Photos
Created 11 March 2012
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2012
9 Photos
Created 19 February 2012
36 Photos
Created 13 February 2012
84 Photos
Created 13 February 2012
10 Photos
Created 30 December 2011
55 Photos
Created 19 December 2011
68 Photos
Created 12 July 2011
42 Photos
Created 3 July 2011
61 Photos
Created 24 June 2011
32 Photos
Created 11 June 2011
68 Photos
Created 10 June 2011
47 Photos
Created 17 May 2011
32 Photos
Created 1 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 22 April 2011
82 Photos
Created 6 April 2011
36 Photos
Created 29 March 2011
43 Photos
Created 21 March 2011
42 Photos
Created 21 March 2011
38 Photos
Created 5 March 2011
37 Photos
Created 27 February 2011
14 Photos
Created 27 February 2011
30 Photos
Created 27 February 2011
Departed San Diego Feb 1, 2011 headed for Mexico.
24 Photos
Created 26 February 2011
Left Santa Barbara January 2011 on the start of our retirement adventure.
8 Photos
Created 25 February 2011
2008 we did our third Baja Haha rally. This time our crew were all Santa Barbara Sail and Power Squadron members. There were 5 of us aboard for the trip down; 3 brought the boat home.
56 Photos
Created 30 September 2010