SCAPPATELLA

n. scah-pah-TELL'-ah 1. Italian word for "escapade"; an adventurous, unconventional act or undertaking 2. a journey with a little bit of intrigue; the secret escapade of two lovers 3. an affair, or in Rome, "a quickie in the bushes"

17 April 2010 | Green Island, Antigua to Fajardo, Puerto Rico
10 March 2010 | Bequia
08 March 2010 | Martinique
20 February 2010 | St. Vincent & The Grenadines
30 January 2010 | Bequia (St. Vincent & The Grenadines)
28 January 2010 | St. Lucia
25 January 2010 | St. Lucia
15 January 2010 | Green Island, Antigua
12 January 2010 | Green Island, Antigua
05 January 2010 | Back in Falmouth Harbor, Antigua
04 January 2010 | just south of Jolly Harbor, Antigua
01 January 2010 | Great Bird Island, Antigua
30 December 2009 | Parham, Antigua
29 December 2009 | Rabbit & Redhead Islands, Antigua
26 December 2009 | North Sound, Antigua
22 December 2009 | Antigua
19 December 2009 | St. Croix, USVI
14 December 2009 | Christensaid, St. Croix
10 December 2009 | Christiansted, St. Croix
09 December 2009 | Somewhere in the Caribbean Sea

Louis' 1st International Gig!!

27 October 2007 | Curacao
Louis
We stayed at the Art and Nature Inn for a bit where I befriended the owner, Geerdine Kuijpers, a 70+ year old Dutch artist. She and I bonded after I played a few songs at the Saturday BBQ at the Inn and we ended up talking until very late. She had a friend at the local university that was helping put together a literary/music event on the streets in old town Punda, in Willemstadt, the capitol. One thing led to another and I was soon set up to play "Pull You From the Wreckage" a song I wrote for Chelsea (My youngest daughter)
The production was one that has been done in Holland before. In fact they flew in a Dutch director. It's based on a fairy tale where frogs see the world in such a bad state, they feel that by gathering all the great writings of the world, writing them down on leaves and dropping them from trees the people will be inspired to read and learn and live in harmony. Unfortunately, it didn't work, the leaves were destroyed and here we are today! Anyway, the production was twelve poets in sort of white big bird outfits,(really, look at the photos on the gallery) sitting in trees, on top of walls, and swinging in swings from the trees. They each read 4 poems, in 4 different languages. (Dutch, Spanish, English, and Papiemento(the local dialect, comprised of several different languages). So, they'd each read a poem, then fluidly the next would go, etc. In betwen rounds they had myself, a Brazilian singer, and a modern dance duo. It was one long fluid show, started out by a drum corps, (these are big down here), and a talk by the prime minister. It was all postponed for 30 minutes as a huge downpour started just when the drum corps did. Everyone scattered, covering sound equipment, etc. But, no problem, wait it out , and away you go!
It was really a special experience. I felt honored to be involved, it was a great way to really hook into a culture. Sitting in a circle at the rehearsal, listening to all the different languages, singing my song, very cool. Everyone was very kind and helped as best they could, I being only able to speak one language.....
Thanks, to my new dear friend, Geerdine!
Comments
Vessel Name: Scappatella
Vessel Make/Model: Lafitte 44
Hailing Port: Coloma, CA
Crew: Janet Maineri
Scappatella's Photos - Main
6 Photos
Created 7 April 2008
Our 1st 6 weeks in the boatyard...cleaning, waxing, sanding, painting, organizing, etc.
17 Photos
Created 29 March 2008

PROFILE

Who: Janet Maineri
Port: Coloma, CA

MAP BLOCK TEST