Scolamanzi

Trinidad to Turkey 2012

15 April 2012 | Soper's Hole
09 April 2012 | San Juan
08 April 2012 | Ensenada Honda - Culebra
06 April 2012 | Charlotte Amalie
30 March 2012 | Hurricane Hole, St John
25 March 2012 | Francis Bay, St John USVI
18 March 2012
17 March 2012 | Bitter End Yacht Club
15 March 2012 | Spanish Town – Virgin Gorda
09 March 2012 | Virgin Gorda, BVI
09 March 2012 | Great Camanoe Island, BVI
09 March 2012 | Cane Garden Bay - Tortola, BVI
09 March 2012 | Jost van Dyke Island, BVI
09 March 2012 | Tortola, BVI
07 March 2012 | Peter Island - White Bay and Road Town,Tortola
19 February 2012 | Peaks Yacht Services, Chaguaramas, Trinidad
19 February 2012 | Trinidad

Turning back to St John after rethinking St Thomas

30 March 2012 | Hurricane Hole, St John
Henriette

Attempt to take on St Thomas
Our initial thoughts were: St Thomas is not an easy one to go to (and they don’t seem to make outsiders feel welcome?}... no public moorings available ... only private ones and the harbours and marinas are mostly full! So anchoring in a very safe spot is the only way that we can leave the yacht for the day and go and explore the island! ....or stay in lovely friendly St Johns, and take a ferry to St Thomas for the day!
So we turned around and head back for St Johns.... this time we are going to go into a bay that is specifically indicated for snorkelling! I am so excited!
It is great exercise as well as fun! BZN it was....Bay Zonder Naam! Well ... not really BZN ... but that is what we called it as none of our literature gave it a name!... it is just south of Salt Pond Bay before going around Ram Head Point.

Very protected ... and the best of all is ... we are the only boat there!!! It was our own private bay and coral beach for one day! There are not many of them around here...! Snorkelling just made me realise again ... the purest of colours are to be found under water! The Purple, Blue, Yellow and Green ...its pure pigments strait from the Creator-Artist’s pallet! So vibrant and almost mesmerizing.... Almost illuminatingly bright!
We went around to Hurricane Hole (day stops only!) great for Canoeing! ... it was pouring at times ... a great opportunity for the captain to get me to help him clean the hull while he was sitting with a bucket of soapy water in the Canoe and I have the back and front of the canoe on ropes “steering” him around the yacht…like a puppeteer! Coral Bay is just a 5 min dingy trip away and we had to go and get fresh milk and potatoes and find some internet hub!(our credit card is now playing up all the time .... with pretty serious repercussions ! So we need to make contact to sort it out! And what a great little town it was! Especially “down town”! With an internet café ... the owner so friendly she just about helps you read your email! Ha! And Skinny Legs is the BEST shop in St John’s!!! A little Hippy Shop but with really cute and good quality stuff! I will have to get back there – too special to miss out on some of those clothes and bags! Our Credit card did not work at the time …but the Captain could see the sadness it left in my eyes… not getting that special bag and top… so he promise to go back to Tortola that way ( cute isn’t he?)
We went over to Great Lamsure Bay – too late and overcast for snorkelling (it is supposed to be excellent!) but we took a dinghy ride all along the coast with the most amazing rock formations! I couldn’t stop taking pictures! It is almost as if each of them has an ancient story to tell!
And that is where the Captain has made up his mind … that we are going to take on St Thomas and will not be intimidated by the fact that they don’t make outsiders feel welcome! We are heading for Charlotte Amalie – the main town on the island – and will anchor in the Harbour!
By the way Charlotte Amalie is named after a Danish Queen in the days when the US Virgin Islands still belonged to Denmark. A lovely name…
Comments
Vessel Name: Scolamanzi
Vessel Make/Model: Leopard 4600
Hailing Port: Mackay, Queensland, Australia
Crew: Johann Scholtz & Henriette Scholtz
About:
Johann is owner and skipper with wife and first mate Henriette. The two of us will take Scolamanzi in February 2012 on to the BVI, Bahamas and Bermuda - where Chriso (a crew member and friend from Australia) will join us in the ARC to take her to the Azores and Portugal. [...]
Extra: We take delivery of Scolamanzi in Cape Town during September 2010. After commissioning and provisioning departure will be end of October on leg one to Trinidad for our first season in the Caribbean. 20 February 2012 : We are now on our second leg of our voyage from Trinidad to Turkey....

Trinidad to Turkey 2012

Who: Johann Scholtz & Henriette Scholtz
Port: Mackay, Queensland, Australia