Scolamanzi

Trinidad to Turkey 2012

15 April 2012 | Soper's Hole
09 April 2012 | San Juan
08 April 2012 | Ensenada Honda - Culebra
06 April 2012 | Charlotte Amalie
30 March 2012 | Hurricane Hole, St John
25 March 2012 | Francis Bay, St John USVI
18 March 2012
17 March 2012 | Bitter End Yacht Club
15 March 2012 | Spanish Town – Virgin Gorda
09 March 2012 | Virgin Gorda, BVI
09 March 2012 | Great Camanoe Island, BVI
09 March 2012 | Cane Garden Bay - Tortola, BVI
09 March 2012 | Jost van Dyke Island, BVI
09 March 2012 | Tortola, BVI
07 March 2012 | Peter Island - White Bay and Road Town,Tortola
19 February 2012 | Peaks Yacht Services, Chaguaramas, Trinidad
19 February 2012 | Trinidad

Marlins and Speed makes a great marriage and a likable ETA

21 November 2010 | Halfway between St Helena and the Brazilian coastline
Henriette
The last 4 days have brought about magic sailing for us! We had great winds (13-15kts instead of the deadly 8-9 kts!) and yet again break one after the other �"record�" �.with a �"best ever�" distance covered in one day 147 nm!! And best speed of 9.9kts!! That is just what everyone is hoping for �.! That brought about the topic of discussion of our ETA a few times�.and the anxious look on the faces of Jonkie and Ben tells the story �.they need to fly back to Australia on the 15 / 16th of December and we need all the wind to at least get there a few days before that in order to enjoy Grenada and do some exploring before they leave! With all the �"slow�" days (of motoring most of the time) we had, we have to be mindful of how much we motor and the usage of water and power�.as it all boils down to (the) fuel! Well, besides the ETA issue�.the increased speed has also lead to the perfect speed to entice Marlin! We had some spectacular strikes!! The one day we had two Marlins striking at once and one even tried to get hold of the teaser about 8 meters from the boat! Today we had a Stripe Marlin �- all lit up with the most amazing florescent blue color (sign of excitement) for about 10 minutes long!!! �- While zapping between the glittery pink and blue lures! That was unusually long as they normally just lit up for a while when they really get excited and then �"switch off and on�" while chasing the bait�..not this one!! �- the lovely blue lights was on all the time!! I�'ve managed to get some footage on the video and would love to put it on the Website as soon as we get to Grenada! What a sight The water is the most amazing midnight blue color and very clear �.which makes it a perfect picture to watch!! The only pity is that we did get any of them hooked�. as yet! But nothing beats TRYING!! My video operating skills still let me down at times �.so much so that no one really relies on me (anymore) for the shot of the day! Sadly I somehow get confused in the heat of the action with the pause and record buttons �- that explain the endless hours of footage that I have taken of my own feet with the camera hanging limb besides me�.thinking it was on pause�.and of cause I have missed some impressive moments �.to the men�'s annoyance�.but hey!�.they can�'t expect me to be good at everything!! I�'m sure my cooking skills and my ability to make the most important knots will impress the Captain enough to secure my First Mate Position! Ha! ;-)
Comments
Vessel Name: Scolamanzi
Vessel Make/Model: Leopard 4600
Hailing Port: Mackay, Queensland, Australia
Crew: Johann Scholtz & Henriette Scholtz
About:
Johann is owner and skipper with wife and first mate Henriette. The two of us will take Scolamanzi in February 2012 on to the BVI, Bahamas and Bermuda - where Chriso (a crew member and friend from Australia) will join us in the ARC to take her to the Azores and Portugal. [...]
Extra: We take delivery of Scolamanzi in Cape Town during September 2010. After commissioning and provisioning departure will be end of October on leg one to Trinidad for our first season in the Caribbean. 20 February 2012 : We are now on our second leg of our voyage from Trinidad to Turkey....

Trinidad to Turkey 2012

Who: Johann Scholtz & Henriette Scholtz
Port: Mackay, Queensland, Australia