Scolamanzi

Trinidad to Turkey 2012

15 April 2012 | Soper's Hole
09 April 2012 | San Juan
08 April 2012 | Ensenada Honda - Culebra
06 April 2012 | Charlotte Amalie
30 March 2012 | Hurricane Hole, St John
25 March 2012 | Francis Bay, St John USVI
18 March 2012
17 March 2012 | Bitter End Yacht Club
15 March 2012 | Spanish Town – Virgin Gorda
09 March 2012 | Virgin Gorda, BVI
09 March 2012 | Great Camanoe Island, BVI
09 March 2012 | Cane Garden Bay - Tortola, BVI
09 March 2012 | Jost van Dyke Island, BVI
09 March 2012 | Tortola, BVI
07 March 2012 | Peter Island - White Bay and Road Town,Tortola
19 February 2012 | Peaks Yacht Services, Chaguaramas, Trinidad
19 February 2012 | Trinidad

Dominica - The Nature Island

28 January 2011 | Roseau - Magic Waterfalls, Hot Sulphur Springs and Champagne Diving!
Henriette - Great weather for a change
Dominica - The Nature Island
Nature and its forces are alive here - with steaming valleys, and the world's 2nd largest boiling lake, 365 rivers rushing to the sea, amazing waterfalls, national parks, lush vegetation and a UNESCO World Heritage Site! And below the sea, the clear Caribbean waters, volcanic formations and rich marine life make for exceptional diving and snorkelling!!
Roseau - the capital of the Island did not look all that impressive from our mooring...but it only takes a snorkel to check out your mooring's quality to realise that you have this crazy beautiful coral and fish life right beneath you! The water is clear and beautiful!
The encounter with the constant arguing between Poncho and Sea Cat's boatmen did not appeal to us at all and almost ruined the experience for us!
We soon discovered that the towns might look shabby and very third world...but beyond that lays breathtaking sites waiting to be explored! Remember to purchase a week pass right at the beginning - you will need to buy it at every site and it will save you a lot of money getting it right at the start ...we did not...and was not too unhappy about it ..as it was going for a great cause - Nature reserve is obviously spending it wisely!
The first day was a great diving (for Johann) and snorkelling experience for me! This is where we met Keith ( a Canadian on holiday here). We went to Champagne ...where the sulphur springs bubble up under the water and it really looks like Champagne! Just beautiful to swim amongst huge schools of fish and bubbles all around you...with crystal clear water! I was freezing in the end (although the water is warm) from lying still for hours looking at the sea life beneath me!
As soon as we have seen the Trafalgar Falls and the Hot water Sulphur Springs (called Screw...as it is really romantic and ....well...) we know that we want to see more. Screw was quite something - it is a whole development around the springs with great pool stepping from very hot pools with fantastic plants and water features and relaxing music to the colder once until you finish in the icy cold stream of water coming from the waterfall! To top your experience off - you get fresh fruit sliced and served to you...and that all for EC$10! (Aussie $4) What steel! I will have to do that again!!...
Victoria Falls was our next outing and the hike was something I have never imagined possible! You cross the river 5 times - it takes a lot of rock climbing and facing heavy streams and scary ups and downs ...but SeaCat was just magic in his support! Never attempt that without a guide!
The reward was in the swimming right underneath this majestic fall! The water was rushing down from 130 meters and causes a wind of about 25 - 30 knots! To swim across that first stretch of water - with crocs and hiking shoes on !!...is no joke...but we did it...and it was out of this world!
The sceneries are just too beautiful to feel the tiredness or to think about the danger!
The next 'nature" experience was lunch with a Rastafarian family at the entrance of the hiking trail! What a family! The food was great! They all live (as they do) from and in nature - vegetarian, organic and self sustained! A must to experience...if you ever have the change...stay clear of the 'medicine' though...you can smell it everywhere!...
The Emerald pool (north of Victoria Falls) was just beautiful! Small and less majestic but still great (chilli) swimming!
It was a fabulous day - that we were fortunate to spend in great company...Aussie friends (from the yacht Orchid) Matthew, Rachael, Nic and Alexander and the US couple Roger and ? from the yacht ILene. We will see Orchid on our way again...they are going just about the same way we are!
Comments
Vessel Name: Scolamanzi
Vessel Make/Model: Leopard 4600
Hailing Port: Mackay, Queensland, Australia
Crew: Johann Scholtz & Henriette Scholtz
About:
Johann is owner and skipper with wife and first mate Henriette. The two of us will take Scolamanzi in February 2012 on to the BVI, Bahamas and Bermuda - where Chriso (a crew member and friend from Australia) will join us in the ARC to take her to the Azores and Portugal. [...]
Extra: We take delivery of Scolamanzi in Cape Town during September 2010. After commissioning and provisioning departure will be end of October on leg one to Trinidad for our first season in the Caribbean. 20 February 2012 : We are now on our second leg of our voyage from Trinidad to Turkey....

Trinidad to Turkey 2012

Who: Johann Scholtz & Henriette Scholtz
Port: Mackay, Queensland, Australia