Scolamanzi

Trinidad to Turkey 2012

15 April 2012 | Soper's Hole
09 April 2012 | San Juan
08 April 2012 | Ensenada Honda - Culebra
06 April 2012 | Charlotte Amalie
30 March 2012 | Hurricane Hole, St John
25 March 2012 | Francis Bay, St John USVI
18 March 2012
17 March 2012 | Bitter End Yacht Club
15 March 2012 | Spanish Town – Virgin Gorda
09 March 2012 | Virgin Gorda, BVI
09 March 2012 | Great Camanoe Island, BVI
09 March 2012 | Cane Garden Bay - Tortola, BVI
09 March 2012 | Jost van Dyke Island, BVI
09 March 2012 | Tortola, BVI
07 March 2012 | Peter Island - White Bay and Road Town,Tortola
19 February 2012 | Peaks Yacht Services, Chaguaramas, Trinidad
19 February 2012 | Trinidad

St Christopher (St Kitts) & Nevis:

08 March 2011 | St Christopher (St Kitts) & Nevis:
Henriette - Overcast and showers
After the last few “dryer” islands, most of St Kitts was a covered in green lush and looks tropical again...that is the larger northern part....the very southern tip of the island ...is dry and we joked the night we were anchored there that we could have been on a big dam in the Karoo (South African dry hinterland) or the Outback (in Australia)!
We anchored in Basseterre for a very rolly two nights – we could not get into the marina (small and very amateurishly operated by whoever is happy to be the harbour master...sort of!) There are not any other options if you want to be close to a town. So we just stomach it for the two days.
The marina will hopefully be upgraded as soon as the new development of shops and tourist cruising ship dockings has been completed. It has potential and the development looks great. The square in the middle of this town has an exact replica of the green Clock Tower on Piccadilly Circus in London – complete with the red Telephone booths around the square!

What amazed us about St Kitts is the general architecture! The shutters and the artistic use of colours and detail patio and balcony railings just had a different fresh look!
This is the island with the only surviving railway in the Eastern Caribbean! The double decker train is running right around the edges of the island and is probably not worth every cent of the $89 pp that you have to pay for it (unless you take 2-3 free cocktails..which is not easy at 9am !!) but it was fun. We met Nick and his whole married family from the yacht Scott Free – thanks to the Captain - I did not attend the cocktail invitation aboard their super yacht! Well – I will keep trying to broaden my network as we go...if the Captain will allow me!
The 2 ½ hour trip gives you an idea of how big the sugarcane industry used to be (not producing any sugarcane anymore) and to see the countryside in a “flash”.
This is not a tax free island, but with proof of being a foreigner, you get your purchases still tax free – and that is almost the last of the cheap quality shops before heading back home!
Cheap shops are everywhere in the Caribbean - all with the same stuff... very much like one of the T-Shirts is stating....”Different Island....Same Shit”!(excuse their French!) And that is a fact!

Our last 2 nights was spent at anchor in Whitehouse Bay in the south of St Kitts – lovely water to snorkel in – a wreck and a few coral and calm waters made it worth the effort to get there. We were planning on making a quick visit to Nevis in the morning but Captain J decided that enough is enough – we HAVE to give the Code Zero a go seeing that it will be light conditions tomorrow!
More on the Website about Code Zero and the Captain!
Comments
Vessel Name: Scolamanzi
Vessel Make/Model: Leopard 4600
Hailing Port: Mackay, Queensland, Australia
Crew: Johann Scholtz & Henriette Scholtz
About:
Johann is owner and skipper with wife and first mate Henriette. The two of us will take Scolamanzi in February 2012 on to the BVI, Bahamas and Bermuda - where Chriso (a crew member and friend from Australia) will join us in the ARC to take her to the Azores and Portugal. [...]
Extra: We take delivery of Scolamanzi in Cape Town during September 2010. After commissioning and provisioning departure will be end of October on leg one to Trinidad for our first season in the Caribbean. 20 February 2012 : We are now on our second leg of our voyage from Trinidad to Turkey....

Trinidad to Turkey 2012

Who: Johann Scholtz & Henriette Scholtz
Port: Mackay, Queensland, Australia