Scolamanzi

Trinidad to Turkey 2012

15 April 2012 | Soper's Hole
09 April 2012 | San Juan
08 April 2012 | Ensenada Honda - Culebra
06 April 2012 | Charlotte Amalie
30 March 2012 | Hurricane Hole, St John
25 March 2012 | Francis Bay, St John USVI
18 March 2012
17 March 2012 | Bitter End Yacht Club
15 March 2012 | Spanish Town – Virgin Gorda
09 March 2012 | Virgin Gorda, BVI
09 March 2012 | Great Camanoe Island, BVI
09 March 2012 | Cane Garden Bay - Tortola, BVI
09 March 2012 | Jost van Dyke Island, BVI
09 March 2012 | Tortola, BVI
07 March 2012 | Peter Island - White Bay and Road Town,Tortola
19 February 2012 | Peaks Yacht Services, Chaguaramas, Trinidad
19 February 2012 | Trinidad

Arriving at the BVI at night time

07 March 2012 | Peter Island - White Bay and Road Town,Tortola
Night time arrival in windy weather
Week ONE : BVI ...Tortola, Jost van Dyke, Great Camanoe and Virgin Gorda:

After arriving in the BVI at 8pm we had to choose the closest and easiest Bay to get into ... which was White Bay at Peter Island. Anchoring was easy with very little rolling. We are heading for Tortola : The main island and centre of commerce and government of the BVI! About 21 000 population with a lot of lovely white beaches and interesting bays ... the main town ...Road Town...

Road Town:

We left early morning for Tortola ... Road Town the next stop... to seek specialist attention to most of the damage we picked up on our crossing. We Anchored the first night just outside Village Key Marina ... right in front of the Governor's House!
The most exciting part of that anchorage was the internet access!! I had just enough time (starting at 5.30am) to get all my pictures uploaded and website updated before leaving. After a million mile walk we found the nest of all Leopards Cats ./.. That must be where they hatch..... Wickham's Cay II .... Sunsail / Moorings Base!!! - An arm of Tui Travel ... what an amazing setup ... extremely professionally run and very efficient. Well, they were so helpful and even made us stay a night at no cost at their docks to get their maintenance guys to assess the problems and fix what they could! Just blows my mind how nice they all were!
While the men were sweating on the boat I had to get out of the way and went browsing... well ... what a surprise to find a South African Delicatessen shop with Biltong and the works in it!! Needless to say there were also French and Italian delicatessen shops with equally testing goodies on offer!
Then the second huge surprise was the local grocery store ... it is huge - the size of a really big Coles (bigger than Moranbah's) or Pick'n Pay at the Waterfront ,CT - and the variety was mind blowing ... and that much cheaper than what we are use to! Paying everything in US dollars make the comparison with Aussie $ easy. Well we stocked up (as much as I could carry a 15 min walk back to the boat!.... and had or favourite sourdough French Baguettes, Edam Cheese, tomatoes, salad and cucumber open sandwiches !
Road Town has a very nice feel to it and great little arty and beautiful Home shops! We've decided to do that side of Tortola when we get back in 2 weeks for the last repair jobs.
The water is just enticingly blue and clear and sailing out of the bay at Road Town reminds me a lot of the Whitsundays with all the islands only a hop away!
Comments
Vessel Name: Scolamanzi
Vessel Make/Model: Leopard 4600
Hailing Port: Mackay, Queensland, Australia
Crew: Johann Scholtz & Henriette Scholtz
About:
Johann is owner and skipper with wife and first mate Henriette. The two of us will take Scolamanzi in February 2012 on to the BVI, Bahamas and Bermuda - where Chriso (a crew member and friend from Australia) will join us in the ARC to take her to the Azores and Portugal. [...]
Extra: We take delivery of Scolamanzi in Cape Town during September 2010. After commissioning and provisioning departure will be end of October on leg one to Trinidad for our first season in the Caribbean. 20 February 2012 : We are now on our second leg of our voyage from Trinidad to Turkey....

Trinidad to Turkey 2012

Who: Johann Scholtz & Henriette Scholtz
Port: Mackay, Queensland, Australia