Carpe Diem

Getting anxious to take off

18 January 2010
Annie
When will we make an Ocean Crossing?
I read that,
1. Of all the people who dream of sailing away, it's estimated that about 5% actually go sailing.
2. Of those who have actually gone sailing at one time or another, only about 5% are ever on the water for more than seven days at a time.
3. Of those who have spent at least one continuous week on the water, about 5% actually buy a boat.
4. Of those people who have bought a boat, about 5% move aboard to live.
5. Of all liveaboards, only about 5% sell all of their onshore possessions.
6. Of those who have sold everything, about 5% quit their jobs.
7. Of those liveaboards who are no longer encumbered by onshore employment, about 5% leave the dock to cruise coastal waters.
8. And of those coastal cruisers, about 5% ever make an ocean crossing.

Well when I did the math, out of one million people who dream of sailing, only 25,000 actually buy a boat. And, of that number, only 625 actually "live" on that boat. And then only 31 couples or individuals, actually sell everything, quit their jobs, and go off to see the world. Considering we are already in that 31 number, I expect we will make it to the Bahamas and beyond...someday!
Comments
Vessel Name: Carpe Diem
Vessel Make/Model: CSY 44
Hailing Port: Key West, Fl
Crew: Scott and Annie
About: Scott grew up in Chicago, and Annie, in a small town in Kansas. Five years ago they surprised their family and announced they were moving to Florida to live on a sailboat!
Extra: Scott's poor health and financial collapse of a family business led to the decision to follow Scott’s lifelong dream. As the song goes…”It’s better to die while you’re living, then live while you’re dead”.

Carpe Diem

Who: Scott and Annie
Port: Key West, Fl