SailBlogs
Bookmark and Share
Sea Child: Big Cat Sailing Around the World
Tales of our journey around the world aboard our 56' Catamaran, Sea Child.
Into the open ocean
07/04/2011, 33 36.21'S:174 00.12'E, 100 Miles NNW Bay of Islands, NZ

The passage so far feels like we have been slung from a slingshot into the South Pacific ocean! We cleared the Bay of Islands around 5:00pm, and were met by giant swells over 12' from the NE, and winds gusting to 35 SE. Currently we are sailing under reefed jib alone, dropping the main several hours ago. We continue to make good boat speed, however, averaging 10 knots each hour. We are still watching the weather out here, as the winds are expected to remain rather high and shift to a Westerly by late tomorrow afternoon. We will be jibing then, with a heading that we hope will take us into Minerva Reef.

The crew is holding up okay, a few bouts of seasickness, but in good spirits. The stars are amazing here in the Southern Ocean, still quite cold. The tropics, when we reach them, will be a warm welcome.

Waiting for the storm to pass
Tamara & Eric Barto with Karen Wyatt
07/01/2011, Opua, New Zealand

Holding out in Opua, New Zealand, until a low pressure system passes through north of the country. We plan to skirt up around the back side of this system, which allow us to visit Minerva Reef. Expected departure is late day, 3 July 2011 or early 4 July 2011.

Preparing for Departure
Tamara & Eric Barto
06/28/2011, 35 50.13'S:174 28.03'E, Marsden Cove, Whangarei, New Zealand

The plans are being finalized for a mid-morning departure from Marsden Cove. Karen Wyatt, Eric & Tamara will be on board Sea Child for this +1,000 mile crossing. Our course is expected to be NNW at first, to bypass a rather significant low pressure system that is currently forming around Vanuatu. This course will have us steer away from Minerva Reef, our preferred stop along the way. As we continue to monitor the weather, we will update as to our course and destination.

Position prior to depature
Eric & Tamara Barto / partly cloudy with scattered showers
06/25/2011, Marsden Cove Marina, Whangarei, NZ

Currently preparing for sail to Fiji. Estimated departure Thursday, June 30, 2011.

Newer ]

 

 
Powered by SailBlogs