S/V Sea Dancer

11 August 2023 | Here be Dragons
20 June 2023 | Off the Coast of Oxnard
31 May 2023 | East end of Santa Cruz Island
07 December 2022 | At our home in Oxnard, California
17 October 2022 | At our home in Oxnard, California
27 July 2022 | "L" Dock Channel Islands Harbor Marina
25 June 2022 | Off the Coast of Oxnard
23 May 2022 | At our home in Oxnard, California
09 May 2022 | At our home in Oxnard, CA
23 March 2022 | At our home in Oxnard, California
01 March 2022 | At our home in Oxnard, California
09 December 2021 | At our home in Oxnard, California
19 November 2021 | At our home in Oxnard, California
21 October 2021 | At our home in Oxnard, California
04 September 2021 | At our home in Oxnard, California
02 August 2021 | At our home in Oxnard, California
22 July 2021 | At our home in Oxnard, CA
16 June 2021 | At our home in Oxnard, California
23 May 2021 | At our home in Oxnard, California
12 May 2021 | At our home in Oxnard, California

Dolphins!

20 November 2014 | Bahia Asuncion
Don
Our run from Turtle Bay to Bahia Asuncion on the 20th was our shortest so far, only about 50 miles and 9.5 hours. It reminded me of sailing along the south side of Santa Cruz Island. The seas were about 5 feet at a moderate distance and the winds for the entire day were light 5 to 7 knots from W/NW, which put the wind mostly at our stern or aft quarter. With not enough wind to fly our spinnaker we were motoring the entire day while watching the Baja Coast go by us.

While motoring there is less to do than under sail. The person on watch is watching everything, where we are going, looking for kelp and lobsters floats to avoid as well as watching the instruments and making sure the engine is running correctly. What has been interesting for me is watching what we all do when off watch. Of course we talk with each other about almost everything under the sun, but that doesn’t take the entire day. Bobbi and Terri like to reading during off watch. Bobbi will also play spider solitaire when off watch. Jay and I tend to watch the boat sail through the water. Through out the years I have been sailing, I have always enjoyed gazing out at what is ahead of us while letting my thoughts wander through most any subject. I have begun to call it “My Sailing Zen” and will write more about it in a latter post.

Dolphins! Jay shouted. One of our favorite parts of sailing is seeing the marine life that is all around us. We all looked up and saw had of us a large pod of dolphins swimming toward us. There well over 100 dolphins coming and it was a phenomenal sight to see. They were swimming fast and many of them were jumping out of the water as they were coming closer to us. They must have been chasing some food because they swam right past us and continued on their way. Usually they will come and swim along side us and in our bow wake for a while. On the cruise so far we have seen dolphins once or twice a day and have see whale about three times. The further south we go the more whale sightings we will have.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sea Dancer
Vessel Make/Model: 1989 Ericson 38-200
Hailing Port: Channel Islands, California
Crew: Don & Bobbi Lehman
About: Don is a retired Gaffer for the Motion Picture Industry Bobbi is a retired Pre-K Teacher
Extra: We have spent the last 6 months cruising in the Sea of Cortez and will be sailing to mainland Mexico next season.
Sea Dancer's Photos - Main
On Monday, June 19th, Gina, Rags and I took Sea Dancer out a wonderful windy day.
20 Photos
Created 20 June 2023
Gina, Rags and I had a great "Lazy Daisy Sail", seeing lots of dophins.
9 Photos
Created 18 June 2023
On Friday, May 26, 2023 four boat from L-Dock Sailed to Smugglers Cove on the East end of Santa Cruz Island and returned on Monday, May 29, 2023. This is photos of our trip.
43 Photos
Created 8 June 2023
Photos coming soon
No Photos
Created 1 April 2023
Photos coming soon
No Photos
Created 23 March 2023
From La Paz to Puerto Escondido, near Loreto. When photos are down loaded they get mixed up and will not be in ordered.
68 Photos
Created 7 December 2022
Part One: Is sailing from San Diego to La Paz. Part Two: Will be La Paz to Puerto Escondido. The program kind of mixes photos up when down loading, so they may not be in order. Enjpy
64 Photos
Created 7 December 2022
On October 8, 2022 Regina and I started our 6 day cruise to Catalina Island on Sea Dancer. We were joined with six other boats from L-Dock. This was Gina's first cruise on our boat to Catalina Two Harbors.
42 Photos
Created 17 October 2022
On Friday, July 22, 2022, Rags and I took Sea Dancer to Pelican Bay on Santa Cruz Island for a three day two night cruise. We went with three other boat from the dock.
43 Photos
Created 27 July 2022
Last week-end (Nov. 28/29, 2020) Bobbi pulled Sea Dancer out of her slip and sailed to Smugglers Cove at Santa Cruz Island for a overnight cruise. Our first since Bobbi's diagnosis. We buddy boated with our dock mates and friends Mike and Cherri on Maine Squeeze.
22 Photos
Created 5 December 2020
Bobbi and I stayed in a South Lake Tahoe condo where we join our Jon, Chloe and Tenzin for a combination Thanksgiving and Christmas get together. This was the first time we were able to visit with them in seven months. We were also enjoyed having Bobbi's family with us also. I know, a lot of photos of our grandson, can you tell that Tenzin is our first and only grandchild.
43 Photos
Created 5 December 2020
On October 10-, 2020, Bobbi, Regina, Rags and I sailed to Frenches Cove on Anacapa Island for lunch.
18 Photos
Created 23 October 2020
The Ladies of the "WWWBBB" got together and bought Bobbi a bunch of nightshirst so she wouldn't have to wear a hospital gown.
9 Photos
Created 24 September 2020
A collection of photos of Bobbi both in the hospital and at my sister's home in Benedict Canyon, which is close to the UCLA Health Center in Westwood.
14 Photos
Created 24 September 2020
From August 24 to the 29 We stayed at the UCLA Tiverton House while Bobbi saw the doctors as an outpatient. These photos are our room at Tiverton House and our walks in the beautiful UCLA Botanical Garden. The garden was across the street from the Tiverton House and right next to the UCLA Dental School. Bobbi went into the hospital at 1:00pm on Saturday August 29.
30 Photos
Created 31 August 2020
Bobbi decided to cut her hair before chemo started, but with all the salons closed she asked Gina to do it.
24 Photos
Created 23 August 2020
On Monday, August 17, 2020, Bobbi, Gina and I took Sea Dancer out for a day sail of about 4 1/2 hours. It was the first time Gina has been out with us on Sea Dancer.
12 Photos
Created 23 August 2020
After getting the Head put back together, it was time for a day sail.
10 Photos
Created 2 June 2020
Re-painting the color markings on my anchor chain. 25' is green, 50' is orange, 75' is yellow and 100' is red. After 100' the colors start over.
11 Photos
Created 2 June 2020
Replacing discharge hoses and valves.
5 Photos
Created 2 June 2020
Photos of unstepping the mast, re-rigging, then re-stepping the mast and then followed by adding the stack pack mainsail cover.
31 Photos
Created 28 April 2020
On January 26, 2020, three boats from H-Dock went out for a day sail.
13 Photos
Created 26 January 2020
From Mougins we took the high speed train to Paris, where we spent two full days touring, before flying home.
79 Photos
Created 27 July 2019
We stayed in Mougins and visited Cannes,Nice,Ile Sainte-Marguerite and Antibes.
96 Photos
Created 27 July 2019
Tour of the Normandy battlefields.
62 Photos
Created 26 July 2019
Tour of a restored castle. The site on top of the hill was first used by the Romans in the 4th century.
31 Photos
Created 26 July 2019
After the Queen Mary 2 we stayed in England for a week.
39 Photos
Created 26 July 2019
Bobbi and I booked passage for a transatlantic crossing on the Queen Mary 2, leaving New York City on May 24, 2019.
39 Photos
Created 26 July 2019
Thursday morning on June 29th with two other boats from our dock, Dave & Robin on Wyld Hayr and Mike and Cheri on Maine Squeeze.
22 Photos
Created 7 August 2017
An enjoyable day sail on Brian and Diana Fitzpatrick's beautiful boat.
15 Photos
Created 7 August 2017
May 9th, we left San Diego for our journey home with stops in Oceanside and Long Beach
54 Photos
Created 11 May 2017
Our 11 hour sail from Ensenada to San Diego.
19 Photos
Created 30 April 2017
While waiting for good weather we checked out Ensenada and went on a tour and tasting of three wineries in the Guadalupe Valley. Just 20 minutes out of Ensenada and is where over 80% of Mexico is produced.
51 Photos
Created 27 April 2017
Leaving Turtle Bay on April 22th, spending oe night at San Quintin and then on to Ensenada.
12 Photos
Created 25 April 2017
From Puerto Los Cabo to Bahia Santa Maria is 42 hour sail, the longest leg of the cruise home. Then we spent a night at Asuncion ad finally to Turtle Bay.
59 Photos
Created 12 April 2017
We left Isla Isabel at noon for an overnight run to Mazatlan.
14 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
44 Photos
Created 29 March 2017
Bobbi and I and our friends Jane and Jerry on Aeolian took a two hour panga tour of the jungle estuary.
41 Photos
Created 28 March 2017
We are starting our sail north, to meet up with our crew in Mazatlan. In this Album we leave Paradise Village and head for Punta Mita, then Chacala and finally Matanchen and San Blas.
28 Photos
Created 28 March 2017
Visiting all the communities around Banderas Bay.
64 Photos
Created 28 March 2017
On March 1st we visited Vallarta Botanical Garden with some new friends that live in the condo's in front of our boat slip at Paradise Village. Get there was half the fun, it took 3 different buses and about 2 hours to get there.
35 Photos
Created 1 March 2017
We have now taken the bus to downtown Puerto Vallarta. We walked along the malecon, walked through the shops and ate in the Romanic District and also along the twisty trails along the river.
65 Photos
Created 15 February 2017
We motored 6 miles to Paradise Village in Nuevo Vallarta. This is a big resort with of amenities. We planned to stay a week, but now we are staying longer.
47 Photos
Created 15 February 2017
La Cruz is a small town at the northern end of the bay and is about 30 or 40 minutes by bus to downtown Puerto Vallarta. It has lots of small patio restaurants and is the marina with a lot of cruising kids.
13 Photos
Created 15 February 2017
We left Mazatlan for an overnight sail to Chacala for our first stop, then the next morning we sailed for La Cruz at the northern end of the bay.
30 Photos
Created 15 February 2017
Spent 4 days in Mazatlan before moving south.
12 Photos
Created 15 February 2017
Our 50 mile sail from La Paz to Muertos and then 190 mile sail from Muertos to Mazatlan.
25 Photos
Created 13 February 2017
A one week cruise to the local islands of La Paz.
51 Photos
Created 13 February 2017
After Spending the Christmas with our family we flew back down to La Paz and our boat. The day we got back to Marina Costa Baja they had a great concert. Also my net controler duties came up, so we pulled out of our slip and anchored in a small cove about 3 miles from the marina.
17 Photos
Created 13 February 2017
The Friday after we got home was the Channel Islands Harbors' Dock Decorating Contest that H Dock always competes in and Friday is the judging. Then Saturday is the harbors' Christmas Lights Boat Parade, with the theme of "Hooray for Hollywood". This night is always crock-pot night and we had 8 crock-pots full of wonderful chillies and soups.
17 Photos
Created 18 December 2016
14 Photos
Created 17 December 2016
A one day stay at Isla Francisco, then a day sail to La Paz the next morning.
16 Photos
Created 17 December 2016
We spent several days at this beautiful bay, including Thanksgiving.
19 Photos
Created 17 December 2016
Agua Verde was our first stop after Puerto Escondido and we stayed for several days, then a short day sail to Bahia Tembabichi.
26 Photos
Created 17 December 2016
On our way south we stopped in San Juanico and Puerto Escondido. First 7 photos are from San Juanico.
26 Photos
Created 17 December 2016
Crossing the Sea of Cortez to the Baja coast.
25 Photos
Created 17 December 2016
About October 12th we pull out of San Carlos and headed north towards the northern Sea of Cortez until our stern chainplate broke.
20 Photos
Created 17 December 2016
Las week we sailed with Ed & Barb on their boat "Barbara Ann" with friends Jay and Terri to Scorpion Cove at Santa Cruz Island. The photos shows a little of our crossings, but mostly our time at the anchorage.
43 Photos
Created 20 August 2016
I joined friends from H-Dock on their cruise to Catalina.
31 Photos
Created 31 July 2016
Photos of our travels in and around Sedona.
42 Photos
Created 28 June 2016
On our way to Sedona we checked on Sea Dancer
15 Photos
Created 28 June 2016
It takes a week to get the boat ready for us to leave her for the summer and hurricane season. Almost everything is taken down topside and stored below. We double up all the dock lines and had chaff protection where needed.
15 Photos
Created 24 April 2016
Exploring in and around San Carlos.
35 Photos
Created 24 April 2016
After a rolly night we pulled up anchor at 1:30am from Punta Chivato and began our 73 mile voyage to San Carlos.
24 Photos
Created 24 April 2016
We needed to provision, so 4 of us got a ride into Mulege and spent the day wandering around this beautiful town.
24 Photos
Created 24 April 2016
Bahia Concepcion is a large bay that we spent 11 days in at four different anchorages.
64 Photos
Created 24 April 2016
11 day cruise to Bahia Concepcion with stops in 5 anchorages.
42 Photos
Created 23 April 2016
19 day cruise and visiting 6 anchorages along the way.
58 Photos
Created 23 April 2016
Photos of our crossing the Sea of Cortez (formerly called The Gulf of California) from Mazatlan to La Paza.
24 Photos
Created 23 April 2016
I love to people watch, so when we are up in the bleachers it gave me a great opportunity to people watch.
45 Photos
Created 23 April 2016
Mazatlan's Carnival is the third largest in the world and last for about three weeks, but all the main events are in the last week. The photos are in three parts, first is music night with about 6 bands playing in the carnival area. Then there is the Burning of the Bad Humor which is followed by fireworks on two different nights, lasting about 45 minutes each. There are two parades and we went to the first one on Saturday. The best way to decribe the Mazatlan parade is to think of the Rose Parade on steroids. Each parades are in two parts, the first is the commercial parade that starts at 5:00pm and last one and half hours. All the sponsors parade there truck instead of floats. On top of the trucks are bands or hot young women and men throwing out free logo items to the people watching. For the entire 5 mile length of the parade. The main parade starts at 7:00pm and goes to 10:00 or 10:30pm.
88 Photos
Created 22 April 2016
They jump off the cliff into the water below during the day when cruise ships are in and at night on Fridays and week ends.
11 Photos
Created 22 April 2016
Some of the photos of our six weeks in Mazatlan.
117 Photos
Created 20 April 2016
We left La Paz on December 21, 2015 to begin our passage to Mazatlan
27 Photos
Created 12 April 2016
After waiting for about four days for the wind to die down below 20 knots we left Puerto Escondido and headed for La Paz. Along the way we stopped at two anchorages.
22 Photos
Created 11 April 2016
Some photos of our drive home with one stop at El Rosario and spending the night at the Cactus Motel. This time we got into the correct line to cross the border, which only took three and half hours to do.
19 Photos
Created 7 November 2015
We had heard from so many people how beautiful this mission was so we decided to visit it ourselves. It is about a 30 mile drive from Loreto on a road that was mostly paved, but parts of it were washed out from last winter's rains. We drove from the foothills into the mountains and its canyons, crossing a river at least 20 times. Where the road was washed out they had regarded it, but not paved it. When we reached the small village of San Javier and then the mission, it was truly beautiful. They started building it in 1699.
31 Photos
Created 5 November 2015
Sea Dancer is already to start cruising and so we took her out for a one night shakedown cruise to Ballandra on Isla Carmen.
5 Photos
Created 3 November 2015
On August 3rd I flew back down to Loreto and Puerto Escondido to check on Sea Dancer for a couple of days. All was good.
10 Photos
Created 16 August 2015
An all club cruise over Memorial Day Weekend. AYC with 6 boats join two other local yacht clubs for a weekend of fun.
31 Photos
Created 12 June 2015
Rags was with us in Baja for about a month.
23 Photos
Created 13 May 2015
A gathering of cruisers at Puerto Escondido
21 Photos
Created 13 May 2015
When we got back to Puerto Escondido on April 16, we headed out to Bahia Candeleros and Honeymoon Cove on Isla Danzante with Rags.
22 Photos
Created 13 May 2015
the marina and slip that we will be keeping Sea Dancer in for the summer hurricane season.
14 Photos
Created 15 April 2015
9 Photos
Created 15 April 2015
10 Photos
Created 15 April 2015
Sailing from the northeast side of Isla Carmen to the northwest side of the island.
15 Photos
Created 15 April 2015
17 Photos
Created 15 April 2015
A large bay with several nice coves for anchoring.
42 Photos
Created 15 April 2015
26 Photos
Created 15 April 2015
22 Photos
Created 15 April 2015
32 Photos
Created 15 April 2015
Our adventure continues.
23 Photos
Created 15 April 2015
Our journey north, up the Sea of Cortez begins.
17 Photos
Created 14 April 2015
A land cruise to Todos Santos, a small artistic village.
23 Photos
Created 14 April 2015
14 Photos
Created 14 April 2015
Our time in La Paz
34 Photos
Created 13 April 2015
Our last one day leg to La Paz and the Sea of Cortez
30 Photos
Created 13 April 2015
One day voyage to Bahia de Los Moertos
8 Photos
Created 13 April 2015
Our one day passage to Bahia Los Frailes.
14 Photos
Created 13 April 2015
Our time in San Jose del Cabo
45 Photos
Created 13 April 2015
Our time in San Jose del Cabo.
37 Photos
Created 13 April 2015
Our overnight passage to San Jose del Cabo and Puerto Los Cabos
24 Photos
Created 13 April 2015
Our three days at Bahia Santa Maria.
16 Photos
Created 13 April 2015
Our overnight passage to Bahia Santa Maria.
19 Photos
Created 13 April 2015
Our passage to Bahia Asuncion
11 Photos
Created 13 April 2015
Three days in Turtle Bay
28 Photos
Created 13 April 2015
Our overnight passage to Turtle Bay.
24 Photos
Created 13 April 2015
Spent the day tasting some great Mexican Wine.
28 Photos
Created 24 January 2015
Overnight sail to our first anchorage down the pacific coast of Baja
9 Photos
Created 24 January 2015
Our sail from San Diego to Ensenada. We left at 0430 so we could get into Ensenada before dark.
3 Photos
Created 20 December 2014
Our journey to San Diego
15 Photos
Created 13 September 2014
A short sail to Oceanside Harbor
9 Photos
Created 13 September 2014
Today we left Two Harbors and sailed to a guest dock at Dana West Yacht Club.
8 Photos
Created 13 September 2014
Sept. 1st we started our firs leg to San Diego.
7 Photos
Created 12 September 2014