14 October 2017 | Bay of Islands Marina, Opua
12 October 2017 | South Pacific Ocean
11 October 2017 | South Pacific Ocean
10 October 2017 | South Pacific Ocean
09 October 2017 | South Pacific Ocean
08 October 2017 | South Pacific Ocean
07 October 2017 | South Pacific Ocean
06 October 2017 | South Pacific Ocean
05 October 2017 | South Pacific Ocean
04 October 2017 | Neiafu, Tonga
04 October 2017 | South Pacific Ocean
04 October 2017 | Neiafu, Tonga
25 September 2017 | Neiafu, Tonga
19 September 2017 | Neiafu, Tonga
17 September 2017 | South Pacific Ocean
16 September 2017 | South Pacific Ocean
16 September 2017
15 September 2017 | Alofi, Nuie
09 September 2017 | Alofi, Nuie

Sad News

31 July 2017 | Huahine Island
Gillian
We had a slow night sailing with no more than 10 knots of wind. We approached Huahine island at about 10am and saw a large Catamaran on the reef. We heard from other cruisers that they had hit the reef about 5 days ago and the family of six were airlifted out by helicopters. Other cruisers had assisted the owners by removing all they could off the boat and within the next couple of days the engines will be removed before the yacht is sank at sea. A shocking story and we feel very sad for the family who had invested everything into their boat and this trip. Chatting to other cruisers at Huahine, all had been affected by this tragedy and a good warning to us all to keep alert and safe. We anchored off Fare village in about 4m of sand and coral, and were joined soon after by the yacht Tamariki. Peter came on board for a short while to share a drink with us, and we wish him well on his travels. In the morning we were visited by a local boat who offered us some fresh lobster. A deal was struck with both parties happy. We visited Son of Moondance before they headed off to Taana and Bora Bora, and it was good to see them again. The little village of Fare was bustling and was quite charming. Stalls were out selling souvenirs and fresh fruit and vege, and the supermarket was huge and well stocked with all anyone would need. We browsed in the art/craft stalls where tikis and tapa art were displayed. Some beautiful artwork and shell work. We resisted buying as most were too expensive or difficult to bring back into NZ. After lunch we headed off on our dinghy to the reef nearby. The coral didn't look too healthy but the fish were many and were quite large. Tonight we plan to go ashore for Happy Hour at the yacht bar, and tomorrow we will make our way towards Avea anchorage - a two hour motor within the reef. Saturday - Avea anchorage We have been here a couple of days now and are having a lazy time. The anchorage has good holding in 10 m of sand, and the coral is more alive than what we saw at Fare. We can see the yacht on the reef from where we are anchored and it looks good from afar - sitting flat on the reef. A constant reminder of the dangers of cruising, and we can feel a sadness emanating from this bay. From what we have heard a barge will be dragging it to sea soon, and it will be sunk. There is a resort here which seems quite yacht friendly. Wifi is available if you are anchored close enough, there is a dinghy dock, and they will do laundry. We plan to have our linen washed here before we move on. We went for a walk yesterday and found a small Magazin shop where we bought ice creams before walking back. The walk was quite pretty with glimpses of the sea, coconut trees under green lush lawns, and small family houses with sounds of music and washing hanging in the bright sunlight. The Polynesian people love their music and if they are not listening to it, they are singing, or strumming a guitar. They are very social people and very affectionate with each other - with much kissing on the cheek, in the French style. Monday The weather has been very blustery with showers. Frustrating because we have had to take the sunshade down as the wind was doing its best to rip it to pieces. Consequently it has been so hot, inside and out. We took the dinghy around the point today and found the ruins of an ancient Polynesian Marea. Quite interesting and must have been quite substantial in its time with plinth like rocks forming the walls. We then motored further to the village of Parea tying up on the dock near the modern day marea. We asked where the shops were and were directed up the road, but no shop to be found. We then motored the dinghy further in the bay to the other side of the village but were still unable to find a shop. At least we were able to find bins to off load our rubbish, before we headed back to the boat. The winds should ease tomorrow so our plan is to make our way to the island of Tahaa, a 25nm distance away.
Comments
Vessel Name: Silver Lining
Vessel Make/Model: Hanse 400
Hailing Port: Opua
Crew: Neil and Gillian
About:
We are from New Zealand and have enjoyed sailing around the Hauraki Gulf and the Bay of Islands. We sailed the South Pacific Islands in May 2011, our first offshore trip on our 34 ft Van DER Stadt. [...]
Home Page: http://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/SilverLining
Social:
Silver Lining's Photos - Main
7 Photos
Created 15 October 2017
Marquesas to Suwarrow
53 Photos
Created 13 September 2017
Select photo's from our passage from UK 2016 - 2017
98 Photos
Created 12 July 2017
Photos
15 Photos
Created 27 July 2013
14 Photos
Created 19 July 2013
16 Photos
Created 21 June 2013
32 Photos
Created 10 June 2013
13 Photos
Created 10 June 2013
15 Photos
Created 23 May 2013
27 Photos
Created 14 May 2013
33 Photos
Created 16 October 2011
57 Photos
Created 16 August 2011
18 Photos
Created 30 July 2011
31 Photos
Created 16 July 2011
14 Photos
Created 25 June 2011
20 Photos
Created 12 June 2011
31 Photos
Created 30 May 2011
15 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
9 Photos
Created 17 April 2011
9 Photos
Created 1 April 2011
14 Photos
Created 12 February 2011
Lloyd, Vanessa & Lucas
4 Photos
Created 7 February 2011
13 Photos
Created 15 January 2011
3 Photos
Created 15 January 2011
9 Photos
Created 15 January 2011
11 Photos
Created 12 January 2011
Site Meter