Seaforth - The Holiday of a Lifetime

A pair of Kiwis who realised that life isn't a dress rehearsal and its time to go see the world.

01 July 2017 | Susui, Vanua Balavu, Fiji
12 June 2017 | Port Maurelle, Vava'u
10 June 2017 | Ha'apai Beach Resort, Pangai
09 June 2017 | Ha'apai, Tonga
04 June 2017 | North Minerva Reef
02 June 2017 | South Minerva Reef
10 May 2017 | Orokawa Bay, Bay of Islands
02 May 2017 | Opua, NZ
26 April 2017 | Opua, Bay of Islands
26 April 2017 | Opua, Bay of Islands
09 April 2017 | Urupukapuka Island, Bay of Islands
05 April 2017 | Gulf Harbour
24 March 2017
08 February 2017
25 January 2017
23 January 2017
22 April 2014
22 December 2013 | Smokehouse Bay, Great Barrier Island, NZ
21 December 2013 | Smokehouse Bay, Great Barrier Island, NZ
20 December 2013 | Smokehouse Bay, Great Barrier Island

Love it or hate it

27 July 2013 | Auckland
Ade
In the 3 years from when we bought the boat until we moved onto boat, the general opinion was that we would either love it or hate it (living on board that is). An experienced cruising couple told us we'd love it but that the first year would be the hardest. One friend voiced his opinion that we were making a huge mistake and would be house hunting a week after moving on board.

It's been 6 months now, and we're still loving it. I would even go so far as to say I'm still "in love" with our boat - the honeymoon period ain't over yet. As we find out more and more about how she was built, how things work, and find all the nooks and crannys to store things, every day is exciting and fun living on board. The only dreary parts have been to force myself to tidy up and sort all the stuff that got thrown into a storage locker when we ran out of time moving out of the house - kinda like the remains of the 'living on land' phase of our lives. Stuff that is just not important enough to take with us, but you just can't bring yourself to throw away.

I was a bit anxious about winter, but have been pleasantly surprised. The boat is easy to warm up with heat from either cooking, or a tiny little fan heater we bought. There's been a few condensation issues, but we've learnt how to minimise that and the dehumidifier deals with the rest - and it was nothing worse than what we had in the house.

Some things are harder to do on board (getting things out of the bottom of the storage area they are stored in when you need them), and some things are much easier (cleaning!). The biggest issue I still have is finding enough time in the day to do all the things on my to do list.

It's the end of July now - just 5 weeks til spring. My main concern is getting contractors to turn up so that we can get all the jobs finished and be ready to head out whenever the weather is great and/or the mood takes us.

I just wonder though, if the first year is the hardest, and we're 6 months in and still loving it, what are the following years gonna be like? :)
Comments
Vessel Name: Seaforth
Vessel Make/Model: Davidson 47
Hailing Port: Auckland, New Zealand
Crew: Steve & Ade
About: So we're a couple in our 40s and we've decided to abandon a responsible life with careers and stuff, sell the farm and the cars and go sailing instead. Stuff it, I might die before I get to retire so let's have fun now .... there might be time to work later.
Extra: Oh yeah ... we've got 2 dogs as well .... border collies (cute!). That's gonna make life interesting on a boat isn't it? Oh and in case you were wondering, that isn't a photo of either of us in the string vest ... or anyone we know either.
Social:

Seaforth

Who: Steve & Ade
Port: Auckland, New Zealand