SV SEAKA: CRUISING AUSTRALIA IN 2019.

Vessel Name: SEAKA
Vessel Make/Model: 1969 Top Hat Mark 1
Hailing Port: Camden Haven Inlet NSW Australia
Crew: Phillip Bowman
About: Sailing the Australian East Coast towards Lizard Island, 2019
Extra: The Top Hat Mark 1's were built by Baker in Sydney from 1965 to 1971. Seaka was built in 1969 and launched in 1970 from the boat ramp under the new Tom Ugly’s Bridge in Sydney.
09 December 2019 | Dunbogan in the Camden Haven Inlet NSW
04 October 2019 | Lawrie's Boatyard.
11 September 2019
30 August 2019 | MacKay Marina.
19 August 2019 | Airlie Beach
06 August 2019 | Airlie Beach
06 August 2019 | Approaching Pacific Creek and SunHill 9th July.
01 July 2019 | The Narrows.
23 May 2019 | Dunbogan in the Camden Haven Inlet NSW
01 February 2017 | Approaching Port Stephen Heads
23 October 2015 | Camden Haven in sight at last.
14 October 2015
09 October 2015 | Moreton Bay
26 September 2015 | Off Pancake Creek
19 September 2015 | Sunrise beyond Round Island at the entrance to Port Clinton.
13 September 2015 | Island Head Creek
05 September 2015 | Outer Newry Island anchorage
01 September 2015 | Crayfish bay
30 August 2015 | Cape Gloucester
Recent Blog Posts
02 April 2015 | Iluka Bay

Sailing to Goldcoast

Just a short note after sitting out a NE wind day in Iluka Bay.

01 April 2015

Iluka Bay

Up at 0600 to get an early opening of the Harwood Bridge which happened a half an hour late at 0715. Anchored on the other side for breakfast and to await the ebb tide. Noticed that a LOT of traffic was held up while we went under the bridge.

31 March 2015 | Anchored at Harwood Bridge.

Grafton to Harwood Bridge

Set off from Grafton this morning around 0800 and proceeded at 4 knots down river to Maclean where we arrived at 1500. During the day we had about half an hour of rain otherwise it was overcast all day. With easter coming up there were a lot of prawn boats on the river today, very unpredictable as to [...]

30 March 2015

At Grafton

Wednesday 25th March.

23 March 2015 | Coffs Harbour Marina

We are Under Way!

There is nothing like a baptism of fire!

17 March 2015 | Camden Haven River

Getting Started!

OK, the decision has been made, we will go north on the Southerly expected early Saturday morning [21st March].

At Grafton

30 March 2015
Hot and Overcast
Wednesday 25th March.

There I was just sitting quietly stitching in the two new sail lugs when there was a knock on the hull with "Anyone home Seaka". I looked out it it was Greg and Jane who good friends, in fact I sailed with them on one leg of their return from Queensland some years ago. I had thought that Greg and Jane had returned to Europe to sail their new yacht across the Atlantic in the Atlantic Rally with some 260 other yachts. After a while they had to move on and I finished the sail repair.

Later I decided that waiting until 2200 was of no benefit and so just after 1900 I motored out of the Coffs Harbour Marina into a slight drizzle of rain. As I had planned to go at 2200, it proved fortuitous that I had sailed out before dark as I had a few problems with jib sheets and the reefing sheets. Eventually all was sorted out and I made our way east until I was clear of the immediate shore before I turned north to my first way point.

I had motored out and once we were heading north I put the motor into neutral but there was insufficient wind to sail north on. So the gear box was re-engaged and for the rest of the night we motor sailed in light winds and a very slight sea.

Thursday 25th March.

Come morning we could just see Yamba and eventually off Yamba Head we lowered all sail and made ready to cross the Clarence River Bar. I made contact with MR Yamba stating that I was just about to cross the bar. Now they can see the bar and they waited until I was just about to enter the disturbed water, it was an ebbing tide, to call me again for a chat. Needless to say I was rather short with them! Later once I had cleared into the river beyond the standing waves I called them up to find that they only want to know if I was going to sign off now. Arrgh!

Moving into the Iluka Bay I quickly got the anchor down sorted out the gear then stripped off to crash for two hours of much needed sleep. That afternoon I dried wet gear and sorted out Seaka. At 1600 I went ashore to collect my next visitor, Steve McConnell, who owns a Top Hat in Port Phillip Bay. Being on holiday in the area he was hoping to view my horizontal wind vane. Steve has built his own version of a windvane and he was most impressed with mine. Returning Steve to shore we had a quick drink in the pub before I returned to Seaka, there I booked a raising of the Harwood Bridge on the Pacific Highway for 1200 tomorrow.

Friday 27th March.

I'd looked at my records and knew I had to be away by 0830 at the latest, which we were. What I hadn't added to the equation was that there was still some flood water coming down, an ebbing tide and a strong SW wind. Realizing after I passed the commercial wharves that I wasn't going to make it at 1200, I rang bridge operator and postponed the opening until 1300. As it turned out I got to the bridge 5 minutes after noon, so I did 15 minute circles in front of the bridge until it was opened. I was later to hear from locals that the new highway bridges will be high enough for any yacht to pass under but the old bridge will be retained for local traffic which means the local council will be responsible for the bridge openings and everybody is wondering how long that will last.

Moving up to Maclean I went onto the wharf and started to organize myself. Here I have to re-water, refuel, get some fresh food and do the washing. During the motor sail here I noticed that there was once again some diesel floating around so on checking that out I found that the return fuel lines were a bit buggered to put it mildly. The hunt was on around Maclean to find some hose and after one false purchase I ended up with petrol hose which will be OK in the short term, but I will replace them ASAP in Queensland.

Ok, first problem sorted, next was the AA battery charger that was blowing fuses left right and center I couldn't get one in Maclean, so that will have to wait until Grafton.

Saturday 28th March.

A visitor to a motor boat on the wharf kindly ran me up to the petrol station to get 40 litres of Diesel which saved about two hours of walking carrying 20 litres of fuel!

I had just finished the re-watering when Top Hat 'GINGER MAN's' owners turn up. Dr Rob and Faith invited me to their riverside house to do my washing which also turned into lunch. Rob and I then went down to Yamba to inspect his MK2 Top Hat, as Rob wishes to bring all his gear back to the cockpit. On our return it was getting late in the day so I was lent a car to duck down to Seaka for fresh clothing and returned for a very welcomed shower and dinner with Rob and friends. I was then dropped off to Seaka. An excellent day! Thank you Rob and Faith.

Sunday 29th March.

Rob and Faith came down to inspect Seaka and while at the wharf Alan Lucas came ashore and they introduced him to me. A great bloke, who has just got a well-deserved OAM for his work in Navigation Safety and Journalism.

At 1000 I proceeded upriver en-route for Grafton. After a couple of hours I stopped and anchored up for lunch. At first it was beautiful and flat with no wind, but as the weekend wore on the NE'er came in and I eventually raised the Yankee sail to assist. We averaged 4 knots over the day which was mainly against an ebbing tide. We arrived at Grafton just before dusk and anchored close to the public wharf.

Monday 30th March.

Today I walked up to the Grafton shopping center with the aim of getting a new 12 volt AAA charge. I was unsuccessful, but on my return to Seaka I manage to get it going with an USB cable, so all the small batteries are charged again.
This afternoon I cleaned up the boat in preparation for rain tomorrow and the return trip to Maclean. We will move to Iluka on Wednesday and then sail for Byron Bay on Thursday thence the Goldcoast via the Seaway on Friday.



Comments
SEAKA's Photos - Main
Photos of SEAKA's 2019 voyage
53 Photos
Created 8 June 2019
Towards Lizard Island 2019
1 Photo
Created 23 May 2019
Solo Voyage to the Whitsunday Islands 2015
65 Photos
Created 23 March 2015
The refit of Seaka in preparation to sail around Australia.
16 Photos
Created 28 December 2014
Seaka's Voyage Towards Tasmania.
36 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
4 Photos
Created 18 September 2011
2 Photos
Created 31 August 2011
4 Photos
Created 15 August 2011
6 Photos
Created 14 August 2011
18 Photos
Created 14 August 2011
5 Photos
Created 18 July 2011
5 Photos
Created 13 July 2011
8 Photos
Created 10 July 2011
7 Photos
Created 10 July 2011
14 Photos
Created 10 July 2011
2 Photos
Created 10 July 2011
77 Photos
Created 20 June 2011
18 Photos
Created 24 May 2011
17 Photos
Created 24 May 2011
6 Photos
Created 21 May 2011
18 Photos
Created 15 May 2011
6 Photos
Created 13 May 2011
5 Photos
Created 12 May 2011
10 Photos
Created 9 May 2011
13 Photos
Created 8 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 6 May 2011
3 Photos
Created 5 May 2011
8 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 22 April 2011
6 Photos
Created 21 April 2011
7 Photos
Created 20 April 2011
5 Photos
Created 18 April 2011
3 Photos
Created 12 April 2011
The voyage from Camden Haven to Trail Bay.
10 Photos
Created 7 April 2011
Showing the Camden Haven River, arrival of Seaka in Laurieton in 2002. Seaka's interior layout and Seaka at anchor.
10 Photos
Created 30 March 2011

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups
Australia
SailBlogs Friends
Argos