Life aboard Eclipse

Vessel Name: Eclipse
Vessel Make/Model: 1984 S-2 9.2 CC
Hailing Port: Wannaska,Mn.
Crew: Camie and Bob Stoltenberg
About: Camie and I decided to seek another life in the warmer climes. I ran a hunting/fishing business, Camie spent 30 yrs. in the health care business, as a aide,LPN and as an RN.
Extra: This is our story as we sail to the gulf coast and perhaps beyond.
05 April 2022 | Boot Key Harbor. Marathon, Fl.
22 October 2017 | Home, Harlingen,Tx.
09 November 2016 | Home,Harlingen,Tx
08 May 2016 | Wannaska,Mn.
28 February 2016 | On
07 February 2016
06 February 2016
01 November 2015 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon,Fl.
19 September 2015 | Marathon
20 August 2015 | Bahia Honda state park
10 August 2015 | Boot Key Harbor
05 July 2015 | Boot Key Harbor
31 May 2015 | Boot Key Harbor. Marathon,Fl.
18 May 2015 | Boot Key Harbor. Marathon,Fl.
09 May 2015 | Boot Key Harbor
28 April 2015 | Fort Myers Beach mooring field
13 April 2015
31 March 2015 | Ft. Myers Beach,Fl.
27 March 2015 | Marco Island,Fl.
13 March 2015 | Isla Morada,Fl.
Recent Blog Posts
05 April 2022 | Boot Key Harbor. Marathon, Fl.

Hello again

Been awhile. I’ll bring this up to speed if possible. After our son had a bad car wreck, we had to exit Bahamas fastest possible, which we did. Got back to U.S. and put boat on the hard. Did not anticipate changes again. Boat was in Charlotte Harbor, Fl. for almost 3 years. After doing our best for the son, we moved to Harlingen,Tx. That fall. Year unknown. Lived there for 5 years at least, Camie working as a E.R. nurse again. Never far from our minds were boats. Finally settled on purchasing a 1980 Pearson 40’ sloop rigged beauty. Lots of work (and money)as she was a dock queen for years. Got her fairly ready so Camie and I left nov. of 2020. Through many near tragedies and the unending help from the lord, we made it to Tarpon Springs anchorage where we hit the hay after 31 hour crossing. I almost immediately missed the handholds getting out of bed and broke my upper back in 4 places. 1 bad. Surgery and another long recovery later I went back to the boat. Lin Chau and I left Tarpon Springs about Oct. 1st of 22. He had to leave near Ft. Myers Beach, so I soloed down to present location. Will update when I have more time as to repairs and such. Camie here with me now. Boat name is Majestic.

22 October 2017 | Home, Harlingen,Tx.

Another page.

Not sure where I left off,but did make it back to U.S.A. and put boat up at Port Charlotte boat storage. That was 11/2 year ago.moved to Tx just after Chris got back on his feet. About May I guess. Camie working at Harlingen Medical Center as an E.R. Nurse. Time has taken its toll on her,too. She has 7 months to go,and back to boats. We just got back from our first trip on our second boat. Justa Cruzan is a Nimble Kodak pilot house motor/sailor. 20 hp Yamaha 4 stroke, does sip gas. 13-14 mpg so I am happy. Just a shake down cruise up and down the G.I.W.W. And the arroyo Colorado. We did fine,boat had no real surprises for us. Feeling this will be the river crawler I had been looking for. Smaller than Eclipse (26' loa and 81/2' beam) but hope to get used to her. Not going to spend years on end,so hope this will be good. If needed,I can operate myself if the admiral needs time off. We will see.all for now.

09 November 2016 | Home,Harlingen,Tx

Better late than. Never,I guess

We anchored at Chub 1night,went to some smaller rocks south of Bimini. Gun Cay,I think. Anchored in 24' of water. Highlight was during the night,the boat swung and turned with tide,effectively wrapping anchor line up on the rudder. Had one hell of a time getting that loose. At one point, I was down to 6" of line wrapped around my hand. Really thought about dropping line and losing anchor. Finally got it but did put us about 1 hour behind schedule. We crossed Gulf Stream via motor/motor sailing. Arrived near key largo anchorage right at dark. Can honestly say that our night navigation abilities have been greatly improved. Stayed here 2 days and moved on to Tarpin basin after that. Stayed here a few days. Nice fairly quiet anchorage with all one needs close by the gov't dock there. Son is still being kept in a come to aid healing,and we were told to not to hurry,as there is nothing to do. Amy really stepping up to help. Very greatful to here.on to IslaMarada for a rew days there. Speedy but as always,great fun.

08 May 2016 | Wannaska,Mn.

Moving on again

We stayed in BlackPoint 4 days total, then on up to Hawksbill again for a few days. Winds and seas again had us at anchor there for about a week. It was here that we were told Chris(our son) was in a bad car accident and was in pretty tough shape. We decided to head out next morning early and sailed straight to Nassau. Was a following sea and winds started out around the 10-15 kt. area. After noon winds and seas both picked up to around the 5-7 ft. area and 35 kt winds. Made for a miserable ride as we had no room to tack as in a narrow channel last 2 hours. Got a marina again at Nassau Yacht Basin. Stayed 3 days waiting weather. Morning of 4 day was pleasant and motorsailed all the way to Chub Cay. Anchored there in 7' of water. Great anchorage as long as winds from east. Have to go now, more later.

28 February 2016 | On

Onward or upward?

We stayed in Georgetown roughly 3 weeks. We did take a few trips around the area with Tim and michelle(Wayward Sun) whom we had. Met them up at Hawksbill Cay. Followed them around all the days in the Lee Stocking Island area, diving,spearing,etc. they became good friends, and we hope to meet them again soon. We left Georgetown on the Atlantic side ,as needed, to Lee Stocking. Got our butts kicked as well the next morning. We crossed next morning into the bank side through the cave cay cut against the tide and wind at our back. So the rage was in effect. After that butt kicking, was a wonderful sail to BlackPoint. We are here now, will stay a couple more days, a school bake sale tomorrow. Looking forward to trip north. Hope we make it to Fl around the end of March. We will see.

07 February 2016

From Nassau

We were in Nassau quite a few days. I lost track of exactly how many. We had horrible weather,rented scooters and toured the island,dinghy motor needed fixed,resupply the larder. It was nice to sit in Starbucks and communicate with the world again,via wifi. Dinghy motor must have gotten a chunk of dirt in jet, took a week for local Yamaha dealer to fix, unneeded as we found out. Broke a part as they took it apart, so wait for said part. One memorable thing was as tide switched, boat must have swung close to shallows and a wave or wake pushed both us and Alta Mae onto shallows and we were high and dry awaiting tide to lift us off. We left Nassau on the 15th and stopped at Rose island, just a few miles from Nassau harbor. Getting a late start was reason. Left Rose early on the 16th and motor/sailed to Shroud Cay. Met up with Alta Mae there, having heard them on the radio. They left 2 days earlier. Spent 2 days exploring Shroud, then moved on to Hawksbill Cay. Spent a week there, very nice island. Moved on the 23rd to Warwick Wells. Spent 5 days there, including X-mas. The feast they put on, with the help of all the cruisers,pot-luck style. Very nice and more than a little needed. Left Warwick the 27th and went to Compass Cay. Ran aground not paying attention. Again, wait for tide to lift us off and send us on our way. Anchored about 1 mile out about 1am. This one really bothered me, now nervous anytime we get under 7 ft of water. Left early on the 28th and went to Staniel Cay, anchored off of Big Majors Spot. Saw the swimming pigs, enjoyed New Year's Eve at the marina. Free food AND drink! On the 31st, motored to BlackPoint. Wecome back to civilization. Very nice and friendly place. Reprovision done here,again. Great laundry,food,bars,etc. Sat out the doratio here. Storm came through and winds were at 86 mph, but weather service close by saw 108 mph. We love the mantus anchor for sure now. Mane boats damaged up in Staniel,but nobody drug at BlackPoint. No need to ever want to go through that again. Talked to many who have been through hurricanes, and they said this was the worst they ever saw. I hope I can say that, but do believe Lake Superior threw a couple at us that were as bad. Still, no need to live through that again. Left on the 8th and motored to Little Farmers Cay. Found paradise,in my opinion. As we head back north,for sure stop on the way. If it would be possible, would sell house in Mn. to buy one here, but alas, not doable. We partnered up with Rand R Kedger(Rob and Rose) and headed south on the "outside" or Atlantic Ocean instead of the Bahamas bank. We motored to Lee Stocking Island. We anchored on north side Kent and Sheli couldn't hook their anchor where we were, so ended on north side of LS for a good nights sleep. We left first thing next morning(the 11th) and motor sailed to George Town. Dropped anchor east side of Elisabeth Harbor close to Sand Dollar Beach. As has been the case since we started in Bahamas, wind on the nose and seas too high to be comfortable. But, we made it. Will pick it up from here next time.

Another page.

22 October 2017 | Home, Harlingen,Tx.
Bob/ loudly,rain storm went through earlier this P.m.
Not sure where I left off,but did make it back to U.S.A. and put boat up at Port Charlotte boat storage. That was 11/2 year ago.moved to Tx just after Chris got back on his feet. About May I guess. Camie working at Harlingen Medical Center as an E.R. Nurse. Time has taken its toll on her,too. She has 7 months to go,and back to boats. We just got back from our first trip on our second boat. Justa Cruzan is a Nimble Kodak pilot house motor/sailor. 20 hp Yamaha 4 stroke, does sip gas. 13-14 mpg so I am happy. Just a shake down cruise up and down the G.I.W.W. And the arroyo Colorado. We did fine,boat had no real surprises for us. Feeling this will be the river crawler I had been looking for. Smaller than Eclipse (26' loa and 81/2' beam) but hope to get used to her. Not going to spend years on end,so hope this will be good. If needed,I can operate myself if the admiral needs time off. We will see.all for now.
Comments

About & Links