Retirement to Bahamas

Mike and Judy have been sailing for some 25 years. We have dreamed for years about retiring and sailing to the Bahamas and Caribbean. We are living our dream!

05 February 2013 | Riverside Marina
26 March 2012
17 March 2012
15 March 2012
15 March 2012
06 March 2012
04 March 2012
28 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
21 February 2012
21 February 2012
12 February 2012

Key Largo Redux

03 February 2010
"We had it all
Just like Bogie and Bacall
Starring in own old late, late show
Sailing away to Key Largo"

Remember the words to this haunting 1981 Song by Bertie Higgins?

We spent a couple more days in the Key Largo area, moving first from the south anchorage in Tarpon Basin to the north anchorage then back to the large anchorage in front of the Mariott in Blackwater Sound.

Monday was Judy's birthday but it was quite rainy and so we donned our foul weather gear and went into the restaurant with Stan and Judy from Rhumb Runner for a bite. In the picture is "George" the egret which hangs around this restaurant. Back to Sea Sharp where I prepare a nice dinner for Judy. You know Judy and how much fuss she normally likes for her birthday (just about the opposite of me) but given our locale, it was quite low keyed. Judy did however, have some great phone and email messages from her family and was quite content. You know Judy loves movies and her treat was to watch Titanic so she managed to pass the time quite well.

We have been thinking of heading down-Key to Marathon where many cruisers congregate in a large municipal mooring field but we find out that all the moorings are taken and with the shortage of good weather windows to the Bahamas, cruisers are not leaving. We could go there and anchor for a while waiting for a mooring to become available but the anchorages are also jammed up. Contrast that to where we are in the middle keys with large anchorages and few boats.

Anyway, we decide to leave tomorrow (Tuesday) to continue our trek along the ICW side of the Keys.

Key Largo area has been fun and we also enjoyed our time with Rumb Runner.

"Here's lookin' at you kid
Missing all the things we did
We can find it once again, I know
Just like they did in Key Largo"

Comments
Vessel Name: Sea Sharp
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Legend 37.5
Hailing Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada
Crew: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
About:
Mike will be retiring in September 2008 after a long and rewarding career with the civil service in New Brunswick, Canada. I will end my career as President of Service New Brunswick, the "single window" service delivery agency for multi-jurisdictional government services to citizens and businesses. [...]

Preparing for Retirement Trip

Who: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada