29 November 2010
It's Monday night and I'm pleased to report that my davit project is now complete (well virtually; there's always a few modifications and adjustments to make). And despite the slow start and staccato progress, I think it's turned into a first class job. So, for those who may be interested, the project involved/constituted the following:
* The existing stainless steel stern rail and all its accouterments were removed;
* Outriggers were fabricated to form the basis for the lifting points for the dinghy
* These were integrated into an entirely new stern rail apparatus, replete with the Hunter trademark stern seats
* New attachment points for the three aerials I had on stern (auxiliary VHF, /Sirius Satellite Radio and GPS)
* An outrigger or derrick for hoisting my dinghy outboard was installed
* Platforms for the solar panels were established and the panels installed and rewired
* A mast for the wind generator with supports was made and the generator reinstalled and wired.
* A bracket for the outboard storage (kicker pad) was made
* Mounting points for the barbeque and small propane tank was made
* Lifeline attachment points including the stern walk-thru were re-established
* Attachment points for dinghy hoist were installed
* All previously existing holes were filled and finished
This all had to be done to mate with my bimini and enclosure; there is one small adjustment which I will have to get a canvas shop to do but it is minor.
The rigging has to be able to support the lifting and conveyance of my dinghy and motor probably of 200 pounds in whatever sea conditions we are served up. It is well braced and attached to the boat at eight points all with backing plates.
While I still need to obtain the shackles and lifting blocks to hoist the dinghy, I know it is very strong. The installer, Joey, at 185 points hung off the end and there was absolutely no deflection or sag. It is an impressive piece of work and folks from other boats have been filing past my boat in a constant parade of supervisors, comments and inspectors.
In addition to the installer, Joey, I was fortunate to have the help of a ebullient an capable fellow boater from Quebec. He is an ex-military guy and spend sunup to sundown helping us with the install. He had great insights and was unselfish in his install. As a bonus to me, it allowed me to practice my French; thanks Rejent!
So, Sea Sharp is to be launched tomorrow morning and I've made arrangements to tie her up here at the Marina so I can drive to West Palm Beach, tomorrow afternoon to pick up Judy and Chopin. We hope to be able to leave then on Wednesday to Stuart where we spent time last year where we'll provision and ready the boat for our crossing to Bahamas. Things are coming together and I'll be very happy to have my Admiral and her Mascot back on board an Sea Sharp back in the water.