Retirement to Bahamas

Mike and Judy have been sailing for some 25 years. We have dreamed for years about retiring and sailing to the Bahamas and Caribbean. We are living our dream!

05 February 2013 | Riverside Marina
26 March 2012
17 March 2012
15 March 2012
15 March 2012
06 March 2012
04 March 2012
28 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
21 February 2012
21 February 2012
12 February 2012

Everybody's Got a Cousin in Miami

03 February 2012
In case you don’t recognize this phrase, it is the title of a Jimmy Buffett song and as I stated in an earlier post, we had purchased tickets on line for his tour kick-off concert in Miami. Fitting it is as not only is this the first of his “FinLand” tour 2012 venues, Jimmy lived her for some time in his developing years, and we just happen to be cruising around here.

If you followed our earlier post, you’ll realize we had an interesting adventure taking a Taxi home from the concert. But now for a quick overview of the concert itself.

I’m a big, big, Jimmy Buffett fan and I love the coarseness but poignancy of his lyrics. I also relate to the fact that Jimmy, as I, endeavours to be ageless. So off to the concert we go with Blair and Laurie. The concert is at the American Airlines Arena, the home of the Miami Heat. WE get to the venue by bus early and it’s obvious who’s going to the concert. The typical “parrot head” may be anywhere from 10 to 80 but the distinguishing characteristic is that they’re bedecked in outrageously gaudy flower shirts, shorts and of course some sort of outrageous head wear ranging from my Margaretville Ball cap to Parrots, Sharks and many other really weird costumes. The party’s on! What joins everyone in this revelry is the desire to live the vicarious lifestyle Jimmy has written so many songs about and, guess what; we’re doing just that.

So there is a “tailgate party outside of the arena with a really good Jimmy Buffett/ Coral Reefers Band sound alike. We have a few dances and a beer while we wait for the arena to open. Finally the gates open and we search out our seats. We have little trouble finding the section but start the Himalayanesque climb to our assigned row. And, guess what? We’re on the very last (read top) row and this ain’t a small arena. We are somewhat disappointed but we spy seats some ways down which are not occupied and just before the show begins, we skulk our way down, hoping that the rightful seat purchasers do not evict us unceremoniously.

We’re still quite high in the bowl and off to the side so our vantage point is anything but ideal. And, the sound is not great from here. We cannot hear Jimmy’s gregarious banter. However, Jimmy’s the real deal and a great entertainer and I thoroughly enjoy all of his standards.

We leave the concert , tired and anxious to get back to our boats hopefully safely ensconced in Sunset Lake. We doubt that if there are problems in our absence, the neighbours will be likely to help out.

The rest of the story has been chronicled in an early post, Mike McKendy PI!
Comments
Vessel Name: Sea Sharp
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Legend 37.5
Hailing Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada
Crew: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
About:
Mike will be retiring in September 2008 after a long and rewarding career with the civil service in New Brunswick, Canada. I will end my career as President of Service New Brunswick, the "single window" service delivery agency for multi-jurisdictional government services to citizens and businesses. [...]

Preparing for Retirement Trip

Who: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada