Retirement to Bahamas

Mike and Judy have been sailing for some 25 years. We have dreamed for years about retiring and sailing to the Bahamas and Caribbean. We are living our dream!

05 February 2013 | Riverside Marina
26 March 2012
17 March 2012
15 March 2012
15 March 2012
06 March 2012
04 March 2012
28 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
21 February 2012
21 February 2012
12 February 2012

You Don't Know Where You're Going 'Till You Get There

03 February 2012
The day after the Jimmy Buffett concert, we leave Sunset Lake to head over to Key Biscayne, a scant but complicated 10 miles away. We really enjoyed Sunset Lake and in particular the company of our cruising buddies Blair and Laurie. But we need to move on and want to get hunkered down before the impending front hits. And we like Crandon Park Marina on Key Biscayne.

We've been here several times before and, in fact, spent a couple of days here the week before where we met Judy's brother Jerry.

Anyway, we take the complicated but short trek back along the "lozenge islands" under the Venetian Causeway bascule bridge (which on weekends normally opens on demand but because the Miami Marathon was underway opened precisely at 9:58 am) four additional fixed bridges, various channel changes and finally on to the beginning of Key Biscayne. We are assigned a mooring and settle in for a while.

And here we are almost a week later still in the same place. What have we done? Not much but plenty. The weather was a bit unsettled so the winds were brisk from the north and east so we were glad to be in a sheltered spot. Our days have vanished, mostly spent walking, running, reading, doing boat chores, walking Chopin but, if measured in my previous "performance appraisal" mode, we would certainly not have merited a bonus for extra effort.

Key Biscayne is a few miles from Miami, connected by the elegant Rickenbacker Bridge and Causeway. We can take a convenient bus either to Miami or Key Biscayne Village. We are a mile and half walk from the fantastic Crandon Park Beach, considered to be one of the best in the word.

We are on a mooring and probably the only "live aboard" here so its as if we have the place to ourselves. While we have places to explore, it seems like we have succumbed to the inertia which so easily afflicts long time cruisers.

But, move on we will and while we don't know where we'll go from here, we are starting to feel the need to change scenery.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sea Sharp
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Legend 37.5
Hailing Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada
Crew: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
About:
Mike will be retiring in September 2008 after a long and rewarding career with the civil service in New Brunswick, Canada. I will end my career as President of Service New Brunswick, the "single window" service delivery agency for multi-jurisdictional government services to citizens and businesses. [...]

Preparing for Retirement Trip

Who: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada