Retirement to Bahamas

Mike and Judy have been sailing for some 25 years. We have dreamed for years about retiring and sailing to the Bahamas and Caribbean. We are living our dream!

05 February 2013 | Riverside Marina
26 March 2012
17 March 2012
15 March 2012
15 March 2012
06 March 2012
04 March 2012
28 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
21 February 2012
21 February 2012
12 February 2012

Three States in One Day

14 September 2008
So, I counted and I think we'll go through something like 15 US States (and one Province) on our way to Bahamas. Today we were in three. We left after fuelling up at Chick's Marina (felt compelled to bolster the US economy with more of my hard earned money). There was no wind; none all day. The seas were quite rolly; the left overs from some storm way out in the Atlantic. And, it was warm. And lobster pots were few.

Overall a great day. I told Judy that other than our crossing to Bahamas, today would be the passage where we'd be the furthest from land. Look at the Atlas for the Bigelow Bight - we passed on the east side of Isle of Shoals. Very benign today but would be absolute hell in a winter nor' easter.

We were destined for Rockport, just before the famed Gloucester . We arrived at around 3;30 after an uneventful but relaxing day. Rockport was full and the Harbour master told us we could anchor out by another beach Sandy Bay, which we did. Well, what a bonus; light surf, yellow sand beach, gentle rocking of the boat. And to top it off, near full moon. Judy goes for a swim; she shivered at first but swam from the boat to shore and back again. She didn't think she'd be swimming until at least Florida but there you go! Feels like Caribbean. Told Judy that this is the first day my mind has told me I'm retired.

Rockland is another quaint but touristy town. We went ashore for a half hour but back to the boat for supper. On our way in we stopped by a neighbouring boat; a Hylas 44, centre cockpit owned by Jim and Elaine Freedman. I helped them fix a problem with their navigation software; they gave us a Reed's Almanac and lots of info about where we could go the next couple of days. This is what we're told to expect of cruising; lots of folks with similar interests wanting to impart knowledge and experience in a very unselfish way.

We're shutting down for the night
Comments
Vessel Name: Sea Sharp
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Legend 37.5
Hailing Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada
Crew: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
About:
Mike will be retiring in September 2008 after a long and rewarding career with the civil service in New Brunswick, Canada. I will end my career as President of Service New Brunswick, the "single window" service delivery agency for multi-jurisdictional government services to citizens and businesses. [...]

Preparing for Retirement Trip

Who: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada