Retirement to Bahamas

Mike and Judy have been sailing for some 25 years. We have dreamed for years about retiring and sailing to the Bahamas and Caribbean. We are living our dream!

05 February 2013 | Riverside Marina
26 March 2012
17 March 2012
15 March 2012
15 March 2012
06 March 2012
04 March 2012
28 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
21 February 2012
21 February 2012
12 February 2012

End of Third Week

20 September 2008
Three weeks ago today, Judy and boarded Sea Sharp to begin our voyage. I remember the somewhat strange emotions; frustration at the volume of stuff to pack; exhilaration with our new adventure ahead; sadness but excitement about retiring and, I have to admit, a fair bit of trepidation as we know there will be trying and perhaps even dangerous times.

Well, I'm pleased to say that after three weeks, all's very well. We did an easy day today from Mystic CT on the north and beginning of Long Island Sound to Matttituck on the New York (south) side of the sound. Weather was great but talk about a lot of traffic. Ferries, fishing boats, sailboats, research vessels and other boats abound.

We arrived in Mattituck via a very twisty creek and anchored with numerous other boats. It is peaceful and warm.

It is a bit nostalgic today, not only because of the three week milestone but for a couple of other reasons; my replacement as President of SNB has been named (a very good friend and competent lady who will do very well in this rold) and this is the fall dinner of the Fredericton Yacht Club which practically marks the end of the sailing season. We always revelled in the gaiety and camaraderie at the Douglas Harbour Community with our great boating friends and, while we remained at Douglas Harbour usually up until Thanksgiving, many boaters started the trek back to Fredericton.

We were able to talk to a couple of our boating friends and while we miss them, we certainly will not miss haul-out - our season has just begun!!!!

Sounds like good weather for a couple of days at least so tomorrow we'll do a longish day to Oyster Bay at the end of Long Island Sound then on Monday through Hell Gate, East River, along Manhattan and we hope to stay at a Marina in the Hudson River around 79th Street.

So, to all our friends, family and colleagues, we're doing fine and while we think of you, we're revelling in our new adventures!
Comments
Vessel Name: Sea Sharp
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Legend 37.5
Hailing Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada
Crew: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
About:
Mike will be retiring in September 2008 after a long and rewarding career with the civil service in New Brunswick, Canada. I will end my career as President of Service New Brunswick, the "single window" service delivery agency for multi-jurisdictional government services to citizens and businesses. [...]

Preparing for Retirement Trip

Who: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada