Retirement to Bahamas

Mike and Judy have been sailing for some 25 years. We have dreamed for years about retiring and sailing to the Bahamas and Caribbean. We are living our dream!

05 February 2013 | Riverside Marina
26 March 2012
17 March 2012
15 March 2012
15 March 2012
06 March 2012
04 March 2012
28 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
21 February 2012
21 February 2012
12 February 2012

Stormy Weather Redux

26 September 2008
We have a fun day at Great Kills. The weather is unsettled and its calling for some real nasty stuff so we will not be going out for a few days.

Yesterday morning, we met a nice couple from Vancouver who just purchased a Beneteau 47 in Newport RI and are travelling south. Later that morning, Judy and I dinghied by a Hunter 30 named Douce Folie V owned by a couple from Gatineau Quebec, also travelling south. We have a nice chat with them and invite them for cocktails later in the afternoon. We also invite the aforementioned couple from Vancouver as well as anothr boat from Ontario. Well, we end up having a great Canadian evening on Sea Sharp.

We end up with ten people including ourselves and are having such a grand time that we cancel our restaurant reservations and we invite them all to stay for supper; which they do. Judy whips up a great fish supper and all the plates were eaten clean at the end of the meal.

We exchange many stories mostly related to our past and future sailing adventures but also about our histories and experiences.

So, as the evening progresses, the wind really starts to howl. Our guests leave and we hunker down for a rough night; it was. It blew and rained all night long. I didn't sleep much but we're fine. I had added an extra line to our mooring and had inquired about the capacity of the mooring. I was assured it would hold us. Nonetheless, it was a bit unsettling.

We sleep in this morning. It is a grey day with remnants of the wind and rain. But, we'll find lots to do.

I muse about this lifestyle so far; the tough, windy, rainy rough times are eclipsed by the wonderful days, great places to visit and interesting and helpful people. Like many good things in life, they have to be earned.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sea Sharp
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Legend 37.5
Hailing Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada
Crew: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
About:
Mike will be retiring in September 2008 after a long and rewarding career with the civil service in New Brunswick, Canada. I will end my career as President of Service New Brunswick, the "single window" service delivery agency for multi-jurisdictional government services to citizens and businesses. [...]

Preparing for Retirement Trip

Who: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada