Retirement to Bahamas

Mike and Judy have been sailing for some 25 years. We have dreamed for years about retiring and sailing to the Bahamas and Caribbean. We are living our dream!

05 February 2013 | Riverside Marina
26 March 2012
17 March 2012
15 March 2012
15 March 2012
06 March 2012
04 March 2012
28 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
21 February 2012
21 February 2012
12 February 2012

Boats, Tugs, Bridges and Locks

20 October 2008


We finally left Hampton now that the weather has settled down. But what a great place to be weather bound.

In our last post we mentioned that we had taken a mooring at the city pier at Hampton and that we were doing the cosmopolitan thing. So, Judy smudged her fingernails after the visit to the manicurist so had to go back for a touch up. We spend the time doing boat chores, roaming around town, talking to other boaters and generally having a fun time. Chopin is particularly content 'cause Judy takes him for long walks into the park and he thinks he's a dog now.

I won't try to recount all he small pleasures we had but suffice it to say that three days vanished with little accomplishments other than socialization, hedonism and relaxation. We biked, ran, walked, talked and relaxed. We took a cab to church on Sunday to a great service where for the first time in probably forty years, Judy and I said the Rosary. We have to comment on how well we were treated by the dockmasters at the municipal pier. They were most accommodating, endured our endless questions and generally, made us feel like home.

It blew stink for a fair bit of the time and there were gale warnings on the Chesapeake. Nonetheless we were well protected and relatively comfortable. Among the great new folks we met were Ray, Ray (no, I'm not stuttering) and Jack on Whisper, a Gemini Catarmaran, Ray and Helen on Rigamarole (great name, eh?), a gorgeous Tartan 42, Mike and Peggy on Malana, Hunter 34, as well as many others we spoke with. We had apple desert on Rigamarole (Ray and Helen) who have both a cat and parrot. Very nice folks! We have breakfast then cocktails with Ray and Ray and Jack. Real characters.

Anyway, it's time to cast off. So we leave Hampton Municipal Pier at about 7:00. Thanks Mike an Kate, dockmasters, for a most enjoyable visit. We cross Hampton Roads towards Annapolis, the largest Naval base I believe in the world. Talk about a lot of activity. We are among many pleasure boats finally able to get underway after being harbour-bound for several days. But so too are the destroyers, aircraft carriers, container ships, tugs, etc. etc. We cruise along the immense dockyards of Annapolis, fuel up at a marina, then start the beginning of the long-anticipated Intercoastal Waterway (ICW).

Having passed by and along the many many naval vessels, we are now into a busy commercial area with many tugs and barges. But, we have a new dimension; BRIDGES! We pass by a train lift bridge which is left in the open position until and unless a train comes by, then call to the Jordan bridge for a lift. It lifts and we pass under hoping that his lift position is enough for us to clear. Then another couple of bridges, which have to be opened for us to pass. We no longer worry much about the incessant tug and
barge traffic which two weeks ago would have worried us to distraction.

Finally we pass the last bridge - a fixed 65 foot bridge (Sea Sharp needs 60 feet and that five feet of spare seems very, very skimpy) and veer off to starboard onto the Dismal Swamp Canal. To be continued.......
Comments
Vessel Name: Sea Sharp
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Legend 37.5
Hailing Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada
Crew: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
About:
Mike will be retiring in September 2008 after a long and rewarding career with the civil service in New Brunswick, Canada. I will end my career as President of Service New Brunswick, the "single window" service delivery agency for multi-jurisdictional government services to citizens and businesses. [...]

Preparing for Retirement Trip

Who: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada