Retirement to Bahamas

Mike and Judy have been sailing for some 25 years. We have dreamed for years about retiring and sailing to the Bahamas and Caribbean. We are living our dream!

05 February 2013 | Riverside Marina
26 March 2012
17 March 2012
15 March 2012
15 March 2012
06 March 2012
04 March 2012
28 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
21 February 2012
21 February 2012
12 February 2012

A Day in Savannah

06 December 2008
As of last post (no not the Military bugle call commemorating a dead soldier), we had tied up in Thunderbolt. This is a strange name; according to my cruising guide, "According to American legend, lightning struck the village, miraculously producing a spring of clear water where the bolt hit. "Magically" the site gave off a burnt smell long afterward.....later identified as sulphur and iron from the spring water."

We chose Thunderbolt 'cause it's on the ICW and while a short distance from Savannah, we do not have to negotiate the Savannah river with significant currents and many large vessels. Someone told me it is the third busiest port in the US.

The Thunderbolt Marina is a very serious place. It can handle boats up to 200 feet, and indeed, Blue Moon, 197 feet long is moored here; along with various other mega-yachts well over 100 feet. The write-up on the internet says that this ship has a crew of 14 and among other amazing attributes has "a tubular, glass elevator, encircled by a staircase terminating in an observation lounge on the sun deck. "

We decide to spend the afternoon in Savannah; a half hour cab ride from Thunderbolt. Savannah is an amazing city. They spend huge amounts of money restoring the downtown and the result is spectacular. There are many town "squares" which are green spaces surrounded by antebellum houses and very old commercial buildings build for the cotton trade. Judy and I took a trolley which was great way to get an historical perspective of this city. It was very informative and interesting. At the end of the afternoon, and before we took the public transit bus back to Thunderbolt, we have a drink at a "biker bar". And while it is somewhat raucous, no one there is any more intimidating than me and my biker buds, the FOGS (please don't ask what this acronym means) from Fredericton. We get the bus home and back to Sea Sharp. A fine day!
Comments
Vessel Name: Sea Sharp
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Legend 37.5
Hailing Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada
Crew: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
About:
Mike will be retiring in September 2008 after a long and rewarding career with the civil service in New Brunswick, Canada. I will end my career as President of Service New Brunswick, the "single window" service delivery agency for multi-jurisdictional government services to citizens and businesses. [...]

Preparing for Retirement Trip

Who: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada