Retirement to Bahamas

Mike and Judy have been sailing for some 25 years. We have dreamed for years about retiring and sailing to the Bahamas and Caribbean. We are living our dream!

05 February 2013 | Riverside Marina
26 March 2012
17 March 2012
15 March 2012
15 March 2012
06 March 2012
04 March 2012
28 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
21 February 2012
21 February 2012
12 February 2012

More Days in Brunswick

15 December 2008
We're awaiting Carolyn and Bob's arrival in Brunswick to join us for a week or so. We expect them early Wednesday afternoon; their plane comes in around noon. And so we wait but no Carolyn and Bob. We figure with some unsettled weather their flight may be delayed and in fact, upon checking the website, find out their flight is cancelled. But we know that somehow they will find their way here. Judy is feeling quite forlorn, having high expectations for their arrival. I decide to go to happy hour with neighbours on a Catalina 42, Wendy Michelle. On my way back to the boat, I see Judy coming along with Bob and Carolyn. They were stranded in Atlanta and tried to rent a car to get to Brunswick. No rentals were available but with typical Carolyn luck and determination, she overheard another person who had just rented a car to come to Brunswick and made arrangements with him for them to share the drive. He turned out to be a pilot on private Gulfstream jets on his way to Brunswick where they apparently recertify and retrain at a Gulfstar facility.

Anyway they were tired but in great spirits. Judy had their cabin all prepared including various little gifts and they were very appreciative.

There is a large weather system (I think associated with the one which gave such awful weather all along the east part of the continent), so on Thursday, we decide not to leave. In fact, we see on the weather website that there is a very vigorous band of particularly bad weather oriented north/south and moving towards us. There is a tornado watch associated with the front which looks like about 100 miles to the west of us and moving in our direction. So we add more lines to the boat and take off the enclosure. We decided to vacate the boat and take our important papers and Chopin and retreat to the marina lounge. The other boaters in the marina seem oblivious to this impending bad system and I believe, think we're a bit kooky; their reaction, "it's only a Tornado watch". Anyway, it passes with a bit of fairly strong winds but nothing too severe and we repair back to Sea Sharp. Thursday night it is very windy and we see gusts in the order of 40 knots but we're secure here.

On Friday morning, we decide it's time to push on and even though it's a bit unsettled, we want to get moving; our destination Cumberland Island - a place Carolyn has been yearning to go for some time.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sea Sharp
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Legend 37.5
Hailing Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada
Crew: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
About:
Mike will be retiring in September 2008 after a long and rewarding career with the civil service in New Brunswick, Canada. I will end my career as President of Service New Brunswick, the "single window" service delivery agency for multi-jurisdictional government services to citizens and businesses. [...]

Preparing for Retirement Trip

Who: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada