Retirement to Bahamas

Mike and Judy have been sailing for some 25 years. We have dreamed for years about retiring and sailing to the Bahamas and Caribbean. We are living our dream!

05 February 2013 | Riverside Marina
26 March 2012
17 March 2012
15 March 2012
15 March 2012
06 March 2012
04 March 2012
28 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
21 February 2012
21 February 2012
12 February 2012

St. Augustine to Daytona

19 December 2008
So we get up to a warm but foggy morning. First challenge is to get underway. There is up to a three knot current here which is about half of our boat speed and we have to back out of the slip. To confound this situation, there is much fuss behind us where the various utility boats working on the restoration of the bridge are in the midst of shunting barges, ferrying workers and doing lots of other utilitarian tasks. We await a lull in their activity and then aggressively back out against the considerable current and even more aggressively forward our way into the channel. This is not a manoeuvre you can do delicately; in order to keep the boat moving you have to apply lots of speed both forward and reverse. Anyway we make it our fine but later learn that our companions a couple of slips away try to get out and strike the ship next to them and opt to stay put until slack time.

It is a pleasant morning but the fog sets in. And before you NB and NS sailors begin to scoff at other boaters' rendition of "pea soup", let me tell you as a sailor who has been though the worst of Bay o Fundy fog, that this is nearly as bad. With Bob perched on the bow and me peering over the radar and chart plotter, we wend our way though a maze of creeks with their sharp turns and shallow spots. We motor past a 40ish foot express cruiser which left a half hour before us and is now aground on the wrong side of the channel. We later pass a pleasure trawler from Digby Nova Scotia who has pulled over to await the tide to burn off. We press on with the intrepid Bob perched on the bow seat pointing out the buoys and obstructions.

The fog eventually clears and we experience our first real clement day in a very long time. Our destination is Daytona, the home of Daytona International Speedway but also home to our relatively new but dear friends Helen and Ray from Rigamarole. We arrive at Daytona mid afternoon and arrange with Halifax Harbour Marina for a transient slip. This is a first class marina and the welcome and assistance is top notch. Our berth assignment is four slips away from Rigamarole. We get settled in and contact Ray and Helen and arrange for them to join us for dinner on board Sea Sharp.

Helen and Ray are the folks who we met in Hampton Virginia and travelled with for a few days. They were with us and helped us immeasurably when we had to leave Sea Sharp to return to Fredericton when we found out about our terrible tragedy We don't know how we would have made it without them and Bob and Carolyn. It was fitting that we hosted both couples this evening!!!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Sea Sharp
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Legend 37.5
Hailing Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada
Crew: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
About:
Mike will be retiring in September 2008 after a long and rewarding career with the civil service in New Brunswick, Canada. I will end my career as President of Service New Brunswick, the "single window" service delivery agency for multi-jurisdictional government services to citizens and businesses. [...]

Preparing for Retirement Trip

Who: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada