Retirement to Bahamas

Mike and Judy have been sailing for some 25 years. We have dreamed for years about retiring and sailing to the Bahamas and Caribbean. We are living our dream!

05 February 2013 | Riverside Marina
26 March 2012
17 March 2012
15 March 2012
15 March 2012
06 March 2012
04 March 2012
28 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
21 February 2012
21 February 2012
12 February 2012

If Pigs Could Swim

04 February 2009
We decided to push on today as we want to get further south in advance of a front coming sometime on Friday or Saturday. So, regrettably, we drop the mooring and head the short distance to a place called Staniel Cay. We have a wonderful sail once again in brisk but warm conditions.

We arrive at Staniel Cay early in the afternoon and go to the Staniel Cay club to take on fuel and water. The dock attendant was a one-armed man but he was very capable of helping us wrestle Sea Sharp along the dock in gusty winds and strong currents. There is a charge for water (in this place 40 cents a gallon) because on virtually all of the islands they have to produce water; on a larger scale than our little watermaker but using reverse osmosis, virtually the same process.

We anchor just off the community with five other boats in a very restricted area but we're well hooked. We do ashore to explore. This is a very small but quaint little town. It has a couple of small stores; in fact there are two right next to each other - the blue store and the pink store. They are right next to each other and with virtually the same rudimentary provisions - obviously in fierce competition. We stop by a bright yellow house with a sign "Bahamian bread" and buy a couple of loves.

Back to Sea Sharp and we decide to go to Club Thunderball for happy hour. A bit of explanation needed here. Thunderball is the name for the small island with underwater caves. It is also the location for the classic James Bond film, Thunderball. We don't have time to visit the caves; perhaps on the return trip.

Back to Sea Sharp and, of course, the wind pipes up with fairly stiff breeze, making us a bit anxious given the restricted area we are anchored in.

Next morning, we head to Big Major Spot, otherwise known as "Pig Beach". We were here ten years ago with Ann and Harold and loved the experience....... Picture this. A long crescent beach, with numerous cruising boats anchored off. We dinghied over from our anchorage. As we approach the beach, we see what appear to be lumpy pink rocks on the beach. As we get closer, they start to move; they're PIGS! Yeah, real porkers. We knew about this from our previous visit but it is quite a spectacle.

Apparently these pigs were left on the island many years ago perhaps as a "stash" for early sailors to be able to come back and use them for food. Well they survived and continue to live here on this uninhabited island. As you approach, they swim out to your dinghy, expecting food. And of course, food they get. We brought lettuce and other veggies, and they love it. They snort, bellow and squeal as they compete for our left overs. Quite a sight.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sea Sharp
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Legend 37.5
Hailing Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada
Crew: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
About:
Mike will be retiring in September 2008 after a long and rewarding career with the civil service in New Brunswick, Canada. I will end my career as President of Service New Brunswick, the "single window" service delivery agency for multi-jurisdictional government services to citizens and businesses. [...]

Preparing for Retirement Trip

Who: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada