Which Way do We Go?
04 February 2009
In my last blog, I summarized the many variables we have to consider for where we head for the next couple of days. Yesterday, we had almost resigned ourselves to remaining on the bank side, heading back up to the Staniel Cay area, and waiting out the front. This morning, we get weather forecasts - for me on Sea Sharp, this means up at 6:20, get the short wave radio hooked up and try desperately to decipher the squawking, screeching and general cacophony of single side band radio reception. I figure that if things hold, we have today and tomorrow (Thursday and Friday) to make the trip to Georgetown and then hunker down. We're particularly motivated to do this because our great friends Ann and Harold are flying into Georgetown on Wednesday next to spend a week or so on Sea Sharp. If we don't move today, we might be stuck on the bank side for another week. Ann and Harold would certainly understand but we'd be sorely disappointed and we love them like older brother and sister and yearn for their company.
So, it appears that conditions, while not ideal, are ok to move south. Our plan is a bit vague but we want to get as far down on the bank side as we can, find a good cut and head out tomorrow morning to finish out trip to Georgetown.
The whole anchorage is moving today and there's much anticipation and chatter on the vhf, which adds to the drama. We motor (wind's on the nose (directly where we want to go)) to a place called Cave Cay. This Cay and its neighbours are privately owned. This particular one has what seems to be a major development but which has been in various states of progress for as much as a decade. There are something like nine other boats with the same intention and we anchor along with them, just outside the cut which we hope to take tomorrow morning around 6:30.