Retirement to Bahamas

Mike and Judy have been sailing for some 25 years. We have dreamed for years about retiring and sailing to the Bahamas and Caribbean. We are living our dream!

05 February 2013 | Riverside Marina
26 March 2012
17 March 2012
15 March 2012
15 March 2012
06 March 2012
04 March 2012
28 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
21 February 2012
21 February 2012
12 February 2012

Social Butterflies

19 February 2009
Cruising can be somewhat solitary and intimate, anchored off in quiet little harbours, often with few if any other boats in sight. However, the life in Georgetown is anything but solitary; there is constant and frequent interaction; some formal, some informal and many impromptu. As you can imagine, Judy loves this aspect, as do I. There are many hors d'oeuvres and happy hour get-togethers, lots of chatting, various organized parties and lots of chatting with fellow cruisers as we go through our day. One thing we were advised in terms of provisioning before we crossed to Bahamas was to stock up with lots and lots of crackers, biscuits, munchies, etc.; both because they are pricey here but also because there are so many potluck events.

So, a few of our memorable get-togethers.....

We had a wonderful evening on an impressive Island Packet 440 called Charmed. We had met Craig and Debbie, primarily on VHF radio, way back in the Chesapeake. We brought a piece of rope for them from Nassau (they broke their furling line) and finally caught up with them here in Georgetown.

Our boat buddies Kathy and Darius invited the NBers and friends to an evening on Breeze Hunter. So a dozen of us assemble in their commodious cockpit for a great evening of mirth and chat.

We and many others were quite boat bound from the incessant winds so a couple of us boats at Sand Dollar Beach so we organized a "Breaking Wind" happy hour at Sand Dollar. Probably 75 cruiser attended and many boat cards were exchanged, old acquaintances renewed and new friends made.

We attended a fantastic Valentines' Day Party at the Chat and Chill, the beach bar off Volley Ball Beach. The weather was fantastic and we danced the night away on the beach. (Well, dancing the "night away" in cruiser terms means the dance started at 6:00 and ended at 10:00 - cruisers go to bed very early).

We've had numerous other get-togethers and met tons of people. Our collection of boat cards (like business cards but with cruisers' information) is burgeoning. There have been few days when we've not been invited or have invited some cruisers for some libations and chat. As you can imagine, Judy revels in this place and there have been times albeit rare, when Judy wants to be alone.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sea Sharp
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Legend 37.5
Hailing Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada
Crew: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
About:
Mike will be retiring in September 2008 after a long and rewarding career with the civil service in New Brunswick, Canada. I will end my career as President of Service New Brunswick, the "single window" service delivery agency for multi-jurisdictional government services to citizens and businesses. [...]

Preparing for Retirement Trip

Who: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada