Retirement to Bahamas

Mike and Judy have been sailing for some 25 years. We have dreamed for years about retiring and sailing to the Bahamas and Caribbean. We are living our dream!

05 February 2013 | Riverside Marina
26 March 2012
17 March 2012
15 March 2012
15 March 2012
06 March 2012
04 March 2012
28 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
21 February 2012
21 February 2012
12 February 2012

Escaping Georgetown

15 March 2009
After a bit more than five weeks here in Sand Dollar Beach, we feel the need to move on. The famous Georgetown Regatta is in full swing with all of the fun and games which would make any cruiser salivate. However, we've need to move. I've mused that other that at home I've never stayed in any place for this period f time. It's a testimonial to the comfort, camaraderie and variety of things to do.

The Regatta is in full swing but we see a good weather window and figure if we don't leave soon we'll stay here forever. So, Sea Sharp, along with Breeze Hunter, Audacious and Cattiva meandert out way out of Elizabeth Harbour headed for Exuma Sound and north. It's a bittersweet departure; we've had a wonderful time her at cruisers' "summer camp" but we have many more places to visit so we reluctantly but with offsetting anticipation weigh anchor to move on.

We have a short run planned today but for once the winds are favourable and we have a wonderful sail (yeah, we do sail sometimes) twenty five or so miles to Lea Stocking Island where we anchor for the night.

Sea Sharp almost feels like she's freed of the shackles of the anchor and enlivens to the wind and seas. We have a great day.

We drop anchor, our little rag/tag flotilla of four boats the only boats in this anchorage. We dinghy to yet another white sand beach for end-of-day stories and de -brief.

Next morning we get up to hear that our boat buddies have arranged for our flotilla to have a tour of the Caribbean Marine Research Centre located on Lee Stocking Island. This world-class centre provides researchers with the facilities to study marine ecosystems in the wider Caribbean. We are given a tour by a delightful graduate student. While this is not their busy time, it certainly struck me that the level of activity as well as upkeep was probably waning; the victim of tough economic times and the associated cutting back of government research funding. Too bad!
Comments
Vessel Name: Sea Sharp
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Legend 37.5
Hailing Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada
Crew: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
About:
Mike will be retiring in September 2008 after a long and rewarding career with the civil service in New Brunswick, Canada. I will end my career as President of Service New Brunswick, the "single window" service delivery agency for multi-jurisdictional government services to citizens and businesses. [...]

Preparing for Retirement Trip

Who: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada