Retirement to Bahamas

Mike and Judy have been sailing for some 25 years. We have dreamed for years about retiring and sailing to the Bahamas and Caribbean. We are living our dream!

05 February 2013 | Riverside Marina
26 March 2012
17 March 2012
15 March 2012
15 March 2012
06 March 2012
04 March 2012
28 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
21 February 2012
21 February 2012
12 February 2012

Davits; the Final Chapter

04 December 2010
So we're comfortably moored in Stuart at this wonderful Marina where we stayed for several periods of time the last two years. We reunite with quite a number of sailors we had met before; notably Roger and Jacquie of course and Blair and Laurie on Odyssey XX. We spend the evening with them and have a great time singing and playing guitar.

We get up to a cold morning on Friday and have lots of chores to do, including getting and installing the final pieces to equip the now infamous davits. I had ordered two sets of lifting blocks from Garhauer Marine out of California for delivery to the marina where we're staying and they had arrived. I had to make a couple of trips to West Marine for various other bits and pieces and around mid-afternoon, I'm ready for the inaugural dinghy hoist. It's a piece of cake as Judy mans one end and me the other as we raise the dinghy and motor out of the water where it dangles from the stern of Sea Sharp. This picture, taken by Jacquie shows the finished product. It'll make our cruising more convenient and safe and more or less completes the cruising amenities we need. I'm thrilled with the results and am glad that I did not succumb to my near abort of the project when I was frustrated at the lack of progress as I sat in the boat yard for two weeks.

We reunite with numerous other boaters and meet others here in this gregarious marina. It's really fun to be back here; even if the cold weather threatens to be a repeat of last year.

We are now starting the intensive process of provisioning Sea Sharp for three to four months in the Bahamas. Some people obtain virtually everything they'll need for their winter cruise; we will get lots of provisions but will supplement and add to our stock in the Bahamas even if it's expensive and there's not as much variety or freshness of food. Imagine going to the store and buying everything you'll need for food, toiletries, cleaners, tools, medications, clothing, etc so as to be virtually self sufficient for four months; and packing and storing in in a 37 foot boat! It's quite a feat but this is where Judy takes over and she does a masterful job of provisioning. I'm sure Sea Sharp is lower on the waterline today with all the groceries and stuff we've loaded on.

We'll be waiting a weather window to cross to Bahamas but it doesn't look like there'll be one for several days. In the meantime, we have many boat chores and provisions to do. And, this is a great place to do it......

I have pictures to display but they are too large and I need to reduce their size; I'll do it tomorrow
Comments
Vessel Name: Sea Sharp
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Legend 37.5
Hailing Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada
Crew: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
About:
Mike will be retiring in September 2008 after a long and rewarding career with the civil service in New Brunswick, Canada. I will end my career as President of Service New Brunswick, the "single window" service delivery agency for multi-jurisdictional government services to citizens and businesses. [...]

Preparing for Retirement Trip

Who: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada