Retirement to Bahamas

Mike and Judy have been sailing for some 25 years. We have dreamed for years about retiring and sailing to the Bahamas and Caribbean. We are living our dream!

05 February 2013 | Riverside Marina
26 March 2012
17 March 2012
15 March 2012
15 March 2012
06 March 2012
04 March 2012
28 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
21 February 2012
21 February 2012
12 February 2012

Audacious in the Miami Cup

13 December 2010
So after a quiet night in Lake Sylvia and decompressing after our engine problem, we head out for Miami. Again, we're going into the Atlantic for this relatively short 25 mile trip. It is very pleasant but there's that constant nagging at the back of my mind that the motor will again conk out when we're entering the very busy Miami shipping channel. But, the engine shows no hesitation. I will want, however, to do something about the fuel because I know there's got to be more junk in the tank.

There's always some adventure, however, and as we near the entrance to Miami Harbour, we not many, many vessels around including sport fishers, container ships, luxury vessels and what as we approach we realize is a large fleet of very fast sailboats, appearing to be poised to start a race. And, just as we approach, we further realize that they've just started and we're right in their path! We later find out that these are RC44's competing in Miami Cup and they are being sailed by the best sailors in the world including Paul Cayard, Russell Couts, Rod Davis and many other names familiar from America's Cup racing. They're coming at us hard and Bob's at the helm but he manages to weave our way through with no disruption of their intended course. Roger and Jacquie, on the other hand, who are behind us are caught up in the middle of the fleet and have to make some dramatic course corrections to keep from being clobbered by several of these boats. We own the water just as much as they do but you can be sure that several crews would have had choice words for these two Canadian cruising boats ! It makes for great teasing after!

We complete our journey today into the extremely busy Miami Harbour, and then head into Key Biscayne to a place we've moored before; Crandon Park. We'll spend several days here relaxing, restocking and fixing the fuel problem. There is a fantastic beach, public transportation and lots to do. We are on a mooring along with Audacious and another cruiser we know Winsome.

The weather has been good for the last day or two and there was a narrow window. However, there's a big front coming through on Sunday and we would not make it to a comfortable place in advance of this front. So we opt to stay put and wait for the next window.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sea Sharp
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Legend 37.5
Hailing Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada
Crew: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
About:
Mike will be retiring in September 2008 after a long and rewarding career with the civil service in New Brunswick, Canada. I will end my career as President of Service New Brunswick, the "single window" service delivery agency for multi-jurisdictional government services to citizens and businesses. [...]

Preparing for Retirement Trip

Who: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada