Retirement to Bahamas

Mike and Judy have been sailing for some 25 years. We have dreamed for years about retiring and sailing to the Bahamas and Caribbean. We are living our dream!

05 February 2013 | Riverside Marina
26 March 2012
17 March 2012
15 March 2012
15 March 2012
06 March 2012
04 March 2012
28 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
21 February 2012
21 February 2012
12 February 2012

Can You Spot the Luddite?

25 December 2010
Unfortunately, I cannot upload the picture associated with this post because we have very limited internet access here at Exuma Land and Sea Park. But the picture which we'll eventually upload shows Bob, Carolyn, Judy, Chopin and I in our salon; me and Carolyn reading kindles, Judy and Chopin watching movies on netbook and Bob reading an old fashioned book....

If you know me or have been following our blog you will know that I'm a technology freak. I've got four bags of power cords and inverters for my various devices that I use for navigation, communication, entertainment, etc. But the best of all has been my kindle. I was given a kindle for my retirement gift two years ago and in the interim have read something like 140 books not to mention the various magazines that I've read on it. It's an amazing device.

Well, when Kindle 2 came out, I just had to have one so I indulged myself and bought one. Aside from it being able to download (at a modest price) virtually any book I want to read, it also has a web browser FOR FREE! Yep several of my short blog posts and email answers were from my kindle, using BATELCO free of charge where otherwise it would have cost our first born (Chopin, we're talking about you) to pay for the roaming charges.


Anyway, its' proven to be a wonderful device. So, Judy has inherited my original Kindle.
As well, in preparation for this cruise, we purchased a netbook. We already have a laptop on board but figured a smaller netbook with longer battery life, smaller footprint and redundancy would be great on board.

We have several hundred movies as well as tv series and audio books to fill in any idle time and Judy loves to watch a move in bed while I'm puttering around the boat.


So, with Carolyn and Bob on board, Carolyn gets my original Kindle, Judy and Chopin get the netbook for movies and I read incessantly my kindle 2. Poor old Bob has to resort to Gutenberg's media, the paper book. Oh well, he seems happy, even if he can't listen to music, surf the web, watch videos and check emails on his device. Poor Bob!
Comments
Vessel Name: Sea Sharp
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Legend 37.5
Hailing Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada
Crew: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
About:
Mike will be retiring in September 2008 after a long and rewarding career with the civil service in New Brunswick, Canada. I will end my career as President of Service New Brunswick, the "single window" service delivery agency for multi-jurisdictional government services to citizens and businesses. [...]

Preparing for Retirement Trip

Who: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada