Retirement to Bahamas

Mike and Judy have been sailing for some 25 years. We have dreamed for years about retiring and sailing to the Bahamas and Caribbean. We are living our dream!

05 February 2013 | Riverside Marina
26 March 2012
17 March 2012
15 March 2012
15 March 2012
06 March 2012
04 March 2012
28 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
21 February 2012
21 February 2012
12 February 2012

Exumas Bound

25 December 2010
We sleep soundly in the security of Sea Sharp in a marina in Nassau after a hairy day yesterday. We get up early and go to Starbucks' to do internet an email. We also have some provisions and other affairs to attend to so we decide not to leave until early afternoon; and then just to Rose Island, five or six miles from Nassau. It's calm and pleasant, a welcome change from yesterday and anchor in Rose Island by mid afternoon. Georgina, Roger and Judy go snorkelling. We have a calm night and head out next morning to head to Allen's Cay, our first stop in the beautiful Exumas. It's an easy 35 mile run and it's warm and calm. We get into Allen's Cay and anchor along with probably 16 other boats in this somewhat protected anchorage.

This is the place with the Iguanas and they are out in force. They are quite used to humans as huge speed boats bring day cruisers over from Nassau on a daily basis to feed them. They're quite a sight and not the least bit disturbed by humans.

In the middle of the night the wind picks up and it gets very very rocky in this anchorage; while there is reasonable wind protection, there is a lot of surge and the boats are pitching wildly at anchor. We are in a pretty good position and don't seem to be moving as badly as some. A number of boats move to different spots in the anchorage field to avoid the sickening motion. It's very windy and it would be very challenging to leave so we're stuck here until it abates. But, hey, we ain't shovelling snow.


Comments
Vessel Name: Sea Sharp
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Legend 37.5
Hailing Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada
Crew: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
About:
Mike will be retiring in September 2008 after a long and rewarding career with the civil service in New Brunswick, Canada. I will end my career as President of Service New Brunswick, the "single window" service delivery agency for multi-jurisdictional government services to citizens and businesses. [...]

Preparing for Retirement Trip

Who: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada