Retirement to Bahamas

Mike and Judy have been sailing for some 25 years. We have dreamed for years about retiring and sailing to the Bahamas and Caribbean. We are living our dream!

05 February 2013 | Riverside Marina
26 March 2012
17 March 2012
15 March 2012
15 March 2012
06 March 2012
04 March 2012
28 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
21 February 2012
21 February 2012
12 February 2012

Headin' to Georgetown

17 January 2011
We leave Farmer's Cay to head down as far as we can on the "bank" side as there are still left over easterlies which will make for sloppy and uncomfortable sailing on the other side. We're only going about ten miles today but it is an interesting and challenging passage. We have to use a canny combination of electronic and paper charts and what's called VPR (Visual Piloting Rules) to work our way around sand bores, shallows and coral heads as we pass islands and cays owned by various ultra rich folks like David Copperfield and Faith Hill/Tim McGraw. We time our passage well with the tides and get to our anchorage unscathed. Winds on our side of the island chain are temperate but it's still blowing on the Sound side. We bunk down early intending to leave at first light to make Georgetown tomorrow.

We leave around 7:00 and head out through the cut into the Sound. It's fairly "lumpy" because it has been blowing hard from the east for the past two days. But, it's pleasant and clear. There are many other cruisers heading down to Georgetown today and there is threatening weather coming. We trail a fishing line as do most cruisers. We are not lucky however.

About 12:30 we start our way into Elizabeth Harbour, the large harbour commonly known as Georgetown. There are hundreds of boars here; mostly cruising sailboats. We head to where we anchored two years ago; Sand Dollar Beach. We set our anchor in almost the same spot we were two years ago.

Georgetown is he second largest community in the Exumas next to Nassau and it has great provisioning, particularly for cruisers. We head to town ( a two mile dinghy ride) and reprovision and head back to Sea Sharp intending to stay here for a while. Weather is not good for the next while but this is a good place to be.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sea Sharp
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Legend 37.5
Hailing Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada
Crew: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
About:
Mike will be retiring in September 2008 after a long and rewarding career with the civil service in New Brunswick, Canada. I will end my career as President of Service New Brunswick, the "single window" service delivery agency for multi-jurisdictional government services to citizens and businesses. [...]

Preparing for Retirement Trip

Who: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada