Retirement to Bahamas

Mike and Judy have been sailing for some 25 years. We have dreamed for years about retiring and sailing to the Bahamas and Caribbean. We are living our dream!

05 February 2013 | Riverside Marina
26 March 2012
17 March 2012
15 March 2012
15 March 2012
06 March 2012
04 March 2012
28 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
21 February 2012
21 February 2012
12 February 2012

Gregarious Guests

31 January 2012
We spend a few days in the aforementioned Sunset Lake and then, in anticipation of a visit from Judy's brother Jerry, we moved the 10 or so miles from Miami Beach to Crandon Park on Key Biscayne. This is a favourite of Judy and mine, in eh shadow of Miami, but sufficiently removed from its hustle and bustle.

We had been corresponding with friends Jim and Jacquie for a while and realize they are in the general Miami area; in fact they have been playing tennis daily at the renown Crandon Park tennis facility. So with our proximity to them, we are able to arrange to get together. They join us on Sea Sharp for dinner and a wonderful reunion evening. Jim is a great friend of mine through running, sailing and motorcycling. His partner Jacquie is delightful. I doubt there's anyone more content and happy in this world than our Jimmer so it's always uplifting to spend time with them.

The next day we invite them out for a sail and we have a most pleasant afternoon, tacking aimlessly around Biscayne Bay in bright sunshine and perfect winds.

Judy's brother Jerry flew in the next day to Fort Lauderdale and took a shuttle to Key Biscayne to join us for a few days. We were particularly glad to have Jerry visit as, while he was in the navy as a young man, had never been on a sailboat. And a delightful visit it was. Again we were able to sail around on Biscayne Bay and had the additional bonus of being joined by a pod of six or so dolphins who swam in around and under our boat, frolicking and enjoying the perfect day with us. We anchored off and Judy and Jerry went swimming, with Key Biscayne on one side and downtown Miami on the other. Then for the evening we went to a small anchorage on Key Biscayne called "No Name Harbour". This small basin offered us a quiet and delightful stop-over. Next morning, we did a hike around this park and visited a restored and impressive lighthouse.

We then set sail again, then motored past Miami back to Sunset Lake on Miami Beach; this the same place we were a few days before. This anchorage was in stark contrast to the secluded No Name Harbour but an adventure nonetheless.

While our time with Jerry was short, it was a wonderful visit and he has a standing invitation back on Sea Sharp!
Comments
Vessel Name: Sea Sharp
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Legend 37.5
Hailing Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada
Crew: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
About:
Mike will be retiring in September 2008 after a long and rewarding career with the civil service in New Brunswick, Canada. I will end my career as President of Service New Brunswick, the "single window" service delivery agency for multi-jurisdictional government services to citizens and businesses. [...]

Preparing for Retirement Trip

Who: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada