Retirement to Bahamas

Mike and Judy have been sailing for some 25 years. We have dreamed for years about retiring and sailing to the Bahamas and Caribbean. We are living our dream!

05 February 2013 | Riverside Marina
26 March 2012
17 March 2012
15 March 2012
15 March 2012
06 March 2012
04 March 2012
28 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
21 February 2012
21 February 2012
12 February 2012

Tecnhology Solved?

02 October 2008
Spent a fair bit of today trying to sort out communications. Sad, isn't it when the tool becomes the master?

Anyway, we concluded that the iPhone would not work for us. I was wonderful in terms of technology but the cost of the data charges would break us. So I was able to cancel the account (in the nick of time).

So I purchased a Walmart, pay-as-you-go cellular phone for $20 bucks with a pre pay plan. As for email and internet, I purchased a Verizon wireless USB modem which plugs into the laptop and gives me internet at broadband speeds. It works great and I hope the plan works out.

So the upshot is we have a new cellular number 609 314-4087

And we should be able to deal with email and update our blog more regularly. We love to get email, both in our blog and directly at mckendym@nbnet.nb.ca.

The other new technology we acquire thanks to my colleagues at SNB is he kindle. This is truly an amazing device. As I spoke about in an earlier blog, it's an electronic book which uses a special cell phone technology to allow the purchase of books. So, I can search for a book or the kindle (Amazon) will recommend books to me based on my profile and I can get a sample. If I like it, I purchase and in less than a minute the book is loaded onto the device. The screen is amazing both in dim light and in the direct sun and the battery life is great. I discovered a few additional benefits. You can get newspapers and magazines sent to you daily or weekly, whichever the case may be. It has a built in mp3 player so you can put music on it and play it as you read either through it's own speaker or ear phones. And the piece de resistance, it has an internet browser, free of charge and, while it's a bit clunky, was great when my other technology failed me. Thanks folks at SNB!!!

Comments
Vessel Name: Sea Sharp
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Legend 37.5
Hailing Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada
Crew: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
About:
Mike will be retiring in September 2008 after a long and rewarding career with the civil service in New Brunswick, Canada. I will end my career as President of Service New Brunswick, the "single window" service delivery agency for multi-jurisdictional government services to citizens and businesses. [...]

Preparing for Retirement Trip

Who: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada