Retirement to Bahamas

Mike and Judy have been sailing for some 25 years. We have dreamed for years about retiring and sailing to the Bahamas and Caribbean. We are living our dream!

05 February 2013 | Riverside Marina
26 March 2012
17 March 2012
15 March 2012
15 March 2012
06 March 2012
04 March 2012
28 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
21 February 2012
21 February 2012
12 February 2012

Startin' to Feel Like Retirement

07 October 2008


We had a very peaceful night at Chesapeake City near the western end of the C&D Canal. While we were anchored very close to numerous other boats (something we'll have to get more and more used to), it was very still and we slept soundly. I could hear the sound of engines starting and anchors being hauled in as I lay in my warm bunk. It was very chilly when I finally emerged from bed. We decided to split the difference between Chesapeake City and Annapolis - I found what looked like a nice little place called Fairlee Creek on the eastern shore of Chesapeake Bay in Delaware.

So we left, worried about being able to get out of this anchorage as a boat we had met earlier in this trip reported on their blog that they tried several times to get out and could not until high tide. We slipped out no problem.

The conditions were clear and still as we finished the C&D Canal and emerged into Chesapeake Bay. There were quite a few boats on the same track, many with Canadian flags. We spoke to a gorgeous Hunter 42 DS from Toronto called Wind Hunter on the vhf radio.

I was struck by how the upper reaches of the Chesapeake reminded me of our own Bellisle Bay; verdant shores, lush foliage and limited development

Today was quite short, less than 30 miles so we started into our destination not long after noon. It was a hairy entrance, requiring us to sail so close to a beach that we could almost touch the shore, then do a sharp dogleg to starboard and head in between two sand spits. We made it fine, took on fuel and anchored in a very large basin with only one other sailboat. There is a large marina here with many boats but there was minimal activity.

There was a beautiful sand beach and Judy, Chopin and I dinghied over to spend the afternoon. What a treat. It felt like the Bahamas. We read, stared into space and Judy swam several times. Reluctantly we had to get back to the boat so Judy swam the considerable distance while Chopin and I motored alongside. Back on Sea Sharp we were treated to the spectacle of several hundred Canada geese mustering in the nearby Sassafras River for their journey south - just like us.

A few more boats arrived. A Hunter 33.5, a Hunter Vision 28, and a Tanzer 26 from Ontario. While it was warm today, as soon as the sun drops, it gets cool real quick.

All in all, an exceptional day. Tomorrow to Annapolis for the boat show.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sea Sharp
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Legend 37.5
Hailing Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada
Crew: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
About:
Mike will be retiring in September 2008 after a long and rewarding career with the civil service in New Brunswick, Canada. I will end my career as President of Service New Brunswick, the "single window" service delivery agency for multi-jurisdictional government services to citizens and businesses. [...]

Preparing for Retirement Trip

Who: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada