Retirement to Bahamas

Mike and Judy have been sailing for some 25 years. We have dreamed for years about retiring and sailing to the Bahamas and Caribbean. We are living our dream!

05 February 2013 | Riverside Marina
26 March 2012
17 March 2012
15 March 2012
15 March 2012
06 March 2012
04 March 2012
28 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
21 February 2012
21 February 2012
12 February 2012

A Study in Contrasts

27 October 2008
We awoke in Oriental to a very warm and calm morning. Judy and I have decided to head the some 25 miles up to the head of the Neuse River and the confluence with the Trent River to a place called New Bern. We were told of a "Southbound Cruisers Gam" (gam is a nautical term for get-together, chat, etc). This is billed as a three day Gam with great lectures, socializing and other fun. We need to slow down so this is the opportunity.

So when our neighbour who endured the storm go to slips, we are able to leave and slip out with mixed feelings. We go out through the channel into the Neuse River and the contrast from the day before is palpable. On Saturday it was angry, bleak and scary; today it is warm, calm and friendly. We motor a little over three hours to New Bern and are greeted by a very friendly and competent dockmaster at the Sheraton Grand Marina; a superb marina. There is a special rate for the participants so it is very reasonable. We are provided a berth and back in no problem. Once we get settled, we go for a walk downtown. It is a lovely town/city, steeped in history and obviously affluent. One claim to fame it has is that is is where Coke Cola was invented! It is warm (almost hot). I check the temperature around 4:30 and it is 87 degrees.

I use a hair dryer and scraper to remove the damaged stripe from the hull and it comes off easily. I am relieved that there is no additional damage other than the minor crumpling of the toe rail. If my good friend and advisor Norman Raine was here, we'd have it back in shape already. You can be sure, I'll be asking his advice for ways to make it right.

It is an ideal counterpoint to yesterday and Judy and I are very content. Chopin goes for very long walks along the dock and Judy walks him like a dog!
Comments
Vessel Name: Sea Sharp
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Legend 37.5
Hailing Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada
Crew: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
About:
Mike will be retiring in September 2008 after a long and rewarding career with the civil service in New Brunswick, Canada. I will end my career as President of Service New Brunswick, the "single window" service delivery agency for multi-jurisdictional government services to citizens and businesses. [...]

Preparing for Retirement Trip

Who: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada