Retirement to Bahamas

Mike and Judy have been sailing for some 25 years. We have dreamed for years about retiring and sailing to the Bahamas and Caribbean. We are living our dream!

05 February 2013 | Riverside Marina
26 March 2012
17 March 2012
15 March 2012
15 March 2012
06 March 2012
04 March 2012
28 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
21 February 2012
21 February 2012
12 February 2012

Hospitable New Bern

29 October 2008

We've now been in New Bern for almost 4 days. What an hospitable and warm place. It is steeped in history and the people are very friendly. The marina we are staying at is first class; we happen to be in the slip next to the live-aboard dockmaster so we feel very secure in many ways. It has been cold and blustery, however the hospitality and kindness we've encountered has warmed us up considerably.

We've attended the Southbound Cruisers' Gam. This has been a three-day event with great lectures by well-know and credentialed experts in such things as communications, navigation, live-aboard management, weather and other important aspects of long-distance cruising. Boaters will know the names Mark and Diana Doyle, authors of Managing the Waterways; Chris Parker, weather router extraordinaire; Sara and Monty Lewis of Explorer Charts. As well, there was a lecture by a cruiser who was/is a veterinarian who spoke about cruising with pets. We just got back from a great evening with meal and entertainment where we met even more cruisers. It has been a great, slow-down few days.

Just one example of the great hospitality and kindness; tonight we sat next to a couple who live aboard their boat here but will be heading south soon. They advised us that we should have a Single Side Band (SSB) receiver to be able to at least listen in to the great forecasts provided to cruisers. I asked where I could pick one up. He just showed up on our boat, gave us his and said that we could return it to them if we meet them in Bahamas. What a great gesture of generosity to complete strangers. We will add Joe and Sandee on NorthWind to our list of great folks!

We did lots of other things; went for a great run, Judy rented a bike and explored the town, we took a cab to West Marine and Walmart, had supper out, had cruising friends Helen and Ray on our boat for supper and somehow the four days have evaporated!

We are now ready to resume our journey. Tomorrow we plan on heading back down the Neuse River to where the ICW recommences and head for Beaufort/Morehead City.

By the way, I was able to get the blue stripe for the side of Sea Sharp to replace the one which got damaged in the storm in Oriental. She looks good as new. There still are the wrinkles in the toe rail but as my great mentor Norman Raine advised me, " These are called character marks and will lend for discussion and stories after the event". Thanks Norm and Sarah for your usual sage advice.

While New Bern is a bit off the track south (about 23 miles from the ICW), it is a class act and we'll come back if we transit this area in the future.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sea Sharp
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Legend 37.5
Hailing Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada
Crew: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
About:
Mike will be retiring in September 2008 after a long and rewarding career with the civil service in New Brunswick, Canada. I will end my career as President of Service New Brunswick, the "single window" service delivery agency for multi-jurisdictional government services to citizens and businesses. [...]

Preparing for Retirement Trip

Who: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada