Retirement to Bahamas

Mike and Judy have been sailing for some 25 years. We have dreamed for years about retiring and sailing to the Bahamas and Caribbean. We are living our dream!

05 February 2013 | Riverside Marina
26 March 2012
17 March 2012
15 March 2012
15 March 2012
06 March 2012
04 March 2012
28 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
21 February 2012
21 February 2012
12 February 2012

Breaking from the Pack

15 March 2009
We've been considering where to go next from here. Our original plan had been to do the Exumas in Jan and Feb and up to the Abacos for March, returning to the US in April and home in May. Our boat buddies, Breeze Hunter, Audacious and now Cattiva are preparing to cross Exuma Sound to Eluthera, then up to the Abacos. We are undecided. We've lingered longer in Georgetown than we thought and want to allow lots of time in the US to find a marina, decommission Sea Sharp, buy a vehicle and work our way back to NB. Also, while travelling in the company of other boats is comforting there comes a time when you just need to do your own thing or as Mike MacDonald says, "sail your own boat".

Today we head from Staniel Cay to Cambridge Cay where the plan is to exit the cut and cross over to Eluthera the next day. Judy and I decided not to go to Eluthera/Abacos but to spend more time in the Exumas, working our way to Nassau and then figure out our route back to US. It is a tough decisions as we have been travelling with Breeze Hunter for three months, and have sailed with Roger and Jacquie on Audacious for over twenty years. So as they depart we are a bit sad but glad to be on our own.

We head off for Exuma Land and Sea Park/Warderick Wells. This is a truly amazing place which we spoke of on the way down. We sail all the way here (we've sailed every day now for almost a week), pick up a mooring, get internet and plan on spending a couple of days here.

We snorkel a couple of reefs and see lots of colourful coral and fish. Judy takes Chopin ashore, I clean the waterline of the boat and do other boat projects. There is a boaters get together at 5:30 and we meet lots of people; some of whom we had already met in our travels. Anyone who has been here will probably claim it as a most beautiful spot and we are content to be here.

I finally can catch up on the blog and emails.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sea Sharp
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Legend 37.5
Hailing Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada
Crew: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
About:
Mike will be retiring in September 2008 after a long and rewarding career with the civil service in New Brunswick, Canada. I will end my career as President of Service New Brunswick, the "single window" service delivery agency for multi-jurisdictional government services to citizens and businesses. [...]

Preparing for Retirement Trip

Who: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada