Sailing the coast of Mexico

Sailing the coast of Mexico with friends

Who: Craig Blasingame & Sue Steven
Port: Coronado, California
27 April 2013 | Isla Partida
27 April 2013 | Candeleros Anchorage
13 April 2013 | San Juanico (not Calleta as Sue told the net this morning, lol)
11 April 2013 | Puerto Ballendra on Isla Carmen
05 April 2013 | Aqua Verde
03 April 2013 | San Francisco Island
27 March 2013 | Isla Isabela
13 March 2013 | La Cruz
18 February 2013 | Barra Navidad, Grand Bay Hotel Marina
09 February 2013 | Zihuatanejo to Las Hadas
08 February 2013 | Zihuatanejo
07 February 2013 | Zihuatanejo
03 February 2013 | Zihuatanejo
28 January 2013 | Tenacatita
27 January 2013 | Tenacatita
26 January 2013 | Bahia Chamela, Isla Pasavera
25 January 2013 | Ipala
23 January 2013 | Mexico

Sailfest - THE PURSUIT RACE

07 February 2013 | Zihuatanejo
Craig
Now before I begin, you have to understand that SEASILK has only been in one race before in the 7+ years we have owned her. That one was downwind in San Diego Bay from La Playa cove to the SD bridge. It involved a bet between yacht clubs which we won and go to go meet the French A/C 45 sailing team at the Coronado yacht Club as an award. I say we won because there was no handicapping and we got a great downwind start wing-in-wing.

A "Pursuit Race" is one in which boats start at staggered start times based on their speed rating (called PHRF). The idea is that by staggering the starts, you can tell who wins by the order of the finish. Good in theory, especially if the boats are somewhat similar. For Sailfest, we had mono-hull boats, catamarans, a very heavy sailing ketch and everything in between...including 5 Hobycats. It as wild! We took on 3 passengers who were donating to the children's cause for the privilege of joining. If Craig had known the three passengers were going to be 3 experienced racing sailors, he would have prepared to fly our A-sail and we might have caught the first place mono-hull. as it was, we came in 4th overall and second of the mono-hull with 13 boats plus 5 Hoby's participating. Including the "Calcutta" betting that went on for the benefit of the charity, we think over $3000 was raised today alone.

Tomorrow is a chilli-cook-off and a silent auction in town..
Comments
Vessel Name: SEASILK
Vessel Make/Model: HYLAS 46
Hailing Port: Coronado, California
Crew: Craig Blasingame & Sue Steven

Sailing the coast of Mexico with friends

Who: Craig Blasingame & Sue Steven
Port: Coronado, California