Sailing the coast of Mexico

Sailing the coast of Mexico with friends

Who: Craig Blasingame & Sue Steven
Port: Coronado, California
27 April 2013 | Isla Partida
27 April 2013 | Candeleros Anchorage
13 April 2013 | San Juanico (not Calleta as Sue told the net this morning, lol)
11 April 2013 | Puerto Ballendra on Isla Carmen
05 April 2013 | Aqua Verde
03 April 2013 | San Francisco Island
27 March 2013 | Isla Isabela
13 March 2013 | La Cruz
18 February 2013 | Barra Navidad, Grand Bay Hotel Marina
09 February 2013 | Zihuatanejo to Las Hadas
08 February 2013 | Zihuatanejo
07 February 2013 | Zihuatanejo
03 February 2013 | Zihuatanejo
28 January 2013 | Tenacatita
27 January 2013 | Tenacatita
26 January 2013 | Bahia Chamela, Isla Pasavera
25 January 2013 | Ipala
23 January 2013 | Mexico

Beautiful Day on an Azur Ocean

09 February 2013 | Zihuatanejo to Las Hadas
Craig
Today is one of those perfect weather days where the ocean is so blue it hurts your eyes and the swell is just great enough to remind you that you are afloat. We awoke in Z-wat bay to fine a light coating of dew that Craig used to clean the grime of our days of Sailfest off the deck. Leaving at first light we put out a fishing line with a diving blue sardine and hoped for something large. Lo and behold, that something large was a PANGA! Yes, Craig caught a panga with two fishermen and a 4 foot sailfish. The fishermen declined to give him the sail fish, but were kind enough to return our well worn lure. As they motored back to their long-line string, Craig reeled in his line. Those professional fishermen had cut it so perfectly that all he had to do was reattach the lure.

A little while later, after Sue had turned over the mid-morning watch to Craig, we spotted a disturbance in the calm water ahead. A pod of fifty or more dolphin were racing toward us, leaping out of the air, spinning in mid-air as they landed in the crystal clear water. They continued in their play as they passed us. A few of their comrades decided to come over to SEASILK and have a look-see. They played "the game" for about 30 minutes and then left us for points unknown. Have I told you about "the game" lately? No, well "the game" is all the rage in dolphin circles. No matter what you are doing (fishing, cruising, etc.) if a sailboat comes by you have to immediately stop what you are doing and race to the sailboat for a round of "the game". Now Sue and Craig are not quite sure what the rules of "the game" are, but they are sure that you get more points for crossing the bow of a moving boat and probably even more points depending on how close you come without touching. Finally, there must be a bonus if you can pull this off while swimming upside down.

We just passed Port Lazareo (means lizard in Spanish). I would assume there are lots of iguana on the rocks or something. Anyway, for us, since Port Lazareo is one of the largest in Mexico, it means lots of big ships going and coming. We watch carefully for big ships because we are so small they can't watch for us. We have a piece of equipment onboard that listens for the Automated Information System (AIS) broadcasts that big ships are required to put out and when it intercepts a signal that indicates a close call for SEASILK, we take action to avoid a collision. Because we have the AIS receiver, we frequently have many miles more warning of a close call than we would if we were relying on our eyes alone. The receiver also gives us information about the ship; like his course, speed and usually his name. The name is very valuable because if you want to contact the big boy and tell him that little-ol-you is nearby, you can usually do that much better if you are calling for "Cargo Vessel Ohmy this is the Sailing Vessel Seasilk 3 miles off your port bow, than if you calling for "Big Scary Ship off my port starboard quarter, this is the itty bitty sailing vessel you are about to run down!" Anyway, you get the idea. At night, it becomes even more important because it is harder to gage speed and direction. The AIS receiver coupled with good seamanship, a good lookout and radar keeps us safe and sound.
Comments
Vessel Name: SEASILK
Vessel Make/Model: HYLAS 46
Hailing Port: Coronado, California
Crew: Craig Blasingame & Sue Steven

Sailing the coast of Mexico with friends

Who: Craig Blasingame & Sue Steven
Port: Coronado, California