SeaSparrow

23 December 2017 | St Anne, Martinique
20 March 2017 | St Martin
23 February 2017 | St Martin, French Lagoon
06 February 2017 | Brewer's Bay, St Thomas, USVI
22 January 2017 | Culebra, Puerto Rico
02 May 2016 | Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas, USVI
05 April 2016 | Charlotte Amalie, USVI
04 April 2016 | Charlotte Amalie, USVI
09 March 2016 | Simpson's Bay, Sint Maarten
26 February 2016 | Grande Anse D'Arlet, Martinique
14 February 2016 | Fort de France, Martinique
31 January 2016 | Prickly Bay, Grenada
21 January 2016 | Prickly Bay, Grenada
17 January 2016 | Prickly Bay, Genada
01 April 2015 | Port Elizabeth, Bequia
11 March 2015 | Jolly Harbour, Antigua
20 February 2015 | Jolly Harbour, Antigua
05 February 2015 | Jolly Harbour, Antigua
22 January 2015 | Jolly Harbour, Antigua
11 January 2015 | Sint Maarten

Grenada Hash - Completely Legal

31 January 2016 | Prickly Bay, Grenada
Jeff/ Sunny 90F
Hello Folks,

Of course this publicly available blog wouldn't promote the use of illegal substances so we must be talking about a different type of hash, which of course we are. Since making our way down to the Caribbean we have heard people attending these strange sort of running/ drinking events called a "Hash" so we have been anxious to give it a try. We did just that last Saturday evening by participating in a hash during the full moon and it was a different experience. This hash was put on by the Grenada Hash House Harriers which is one of thousands of these hash groups around the world. The hash groups are self described as a drinking club with a running problem which sounds about right to me.
To provide a bit of background/ history I'll cut and paste from that infinite pool of knowledge Wikipedia:

"Hashing originated in December 1938 in Selayang Quarry, Selangor, then in the Federated Malay States (now Malaysia), when a group of British colonial officers and expatriates began meeting on Monday evenings to run, in a fashion patterned after the traditional British paper chase or "hare and hounds", to rid themselves of the excesses of the previous weekend.[1] The original members included Albert Stephen (A.S.) Ignatius "G" Gispert, Cecil Lee, Frederick "Horse" Thomson, Ronald "Torch" Bennett and John Woodrow. A. S. Gispert suggested the name "Hash House Harriers" after the Selangor Club Annex, where several of the original hashers happened to live and dined, known as the "Hash House".
After the end of World War II, in an attempt to organize the city of Kuala Lumpur, they were informed by the Registrar of Societies that as a "group," they would require a constitution.[2] Apart from the excitement of chasing the hare and finding the trail, harriers reaching the end of the trail would partake of beer, ginger beer and cigarettes.
The objectives of the Hash House Harriers as recorded on the club registration card dated 1950:
¥ To promote physical fitness among our members
¥ To get rid of weekend hangovers
¥ To acquire a good thirst and to satisfy it in beer
¥ To persuade the older members that they are not as old as they feel
Hashing died out during World War II shortly after the Invasion of Malaya, but was restarted in 1946 after the war by several of the original group, minus A. S. Gispert, who was killed on 11 February 1942 in the Japanese invasion of Singapore, an event commemorated by many chapters by an annual Gispert Memorial Run.
In 1962, Ian Cumming founded the second chapter in Singapore. The idea eventually spread through the Far East and the South Pacific, Europe, North America, expanding rapidly during the mid-1970s. He was widely credited with bringing hashing to the United States and lived out side of New York City, where he continued to hash until his death on August 21st, 2015.[3]
At present, there are almost two thousand chapters in all parts of the world, with members distributing newsletters, directories, and magazines and organizing regional and world hashing events. As of 2003, there are even two organized chapters operating in Antarctica."


So there's the background but there are other oddities about this club. Prior to commencing, several lucky first time participants are selected to demonstrate the waterproof capability of their running shoes by drinking beer out of one. The lead photo is a prelude to the shoe drinking ritual and below is the action shot.



Despite this hash taking place in the dark of night it was no walk in the park, but rather a slog through steep muddy hills and across rivers and streams. Here are before and after shots of our running shoes to provide some kind of indication of the terrain that was covered.





That said, it was a neat sort of challenge that wasn't easy but at the same time not ridiculously difficult either. The trail covered about five kilometers in distance, but due to the hilly nature of the route we figured we walked closer to eight km in about an hour and a half. Here's a pic of some of the runners or "hares" on the trail.



Once we completed the trail and made it back to the starting point it was time to have a few beers and relax but not before we were initiated into the group and formally became a member of the Grenada Hash House Harriers. The newbies were gathered together and the proclamation below was read to officially remove our virginity with respect to the world of hashing.



Once the words were read it was time to christen the newest hares with what else but a beer shower.



After the beer shower the remainder of the hash returned to its roots which included drinking beer, eating BBQ, listening to the music and meeting new folks from yet another social circle that has opened up. Not bad for a bit of mud, sweat, water and beer.
Comments
Vessel Name: SeaSparrow
Vessel Make/Model: Leopard 40 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: Jeff and Debbie
SeaSparrow's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 29 of 29
1
 
1
9 Photos
Created 23 December 2017
16 Photos
Created 20 March 2017
36 Photos
Created 6 February 2017
14 Photos
Created 22 January 2017
15 Photos
Created 2 May 2016
41 Photos
Created 4 April 2016
20 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
22 Photos
Created 14 February 2016
32 Photos
Created 17 January 2016
23 Photos
Created 11 March 2015
38 Photos
Created 5 February 2015
27 Photos
Created 11 January 2015
24 Photos
Created 2 December 2014
31 Photos
Created 11 November 2014
48 Photos
Created 22 March 2014
61 Photos
Created 19 February 2014
43 Photos
Created 6 February 2014
25 Photos
Created 20 January 2014
14 Photos
Created 11 January 2014
55 Photos
Created 31 December 2013
19 Photos
Created 12 December 2013
8 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
8 Photos
Created 9 November 2013