SeaSparrow

23 December 2017 | St Anne, Martinique
20 March 2017 | St Martin
23 February 2017 | St Martin, French Lagoon
06 February 2017 | Brewer's Bay, St Thomas, USVI
22 January 2017 | Culebra, Puerto Rico
02 May 2016 | Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas, USVI
05 April 2016 | Charlotte Amalie, USVI
04 April 2016 | Charlotte Amalie, USVI
09 March 2016 | Simpson's Bay, Sint Maarten
26 February 2016 | Grande Anse D'Arlet, Martinique
14 February 2016 | Fort de France, Martinique
31 January 2016 | Prickly Bay, Grenada
21 January 2016 | Prickly Bay, Grenada
17 January 2016 | Prickly Bay, Genada
01 April 2015 | Port Elizabeth, Bequia
11 March 2015 | Jolly Harbour, Antigua
20 February 2015 | Jolly Harbour, Antigua
05 February 2015 | Jolly Harbour, Antigua
22 January 2015 | Jolly Harbour, Antigua
11 January 2015 | Sint Maarten

Moving Time

14 February 2016 | Fort de France, Martinique
Jeff/ Rainy, 81C
Hello Folks,

Well, we have made our first real move of the season covering about 200 hundred miles and four countries in six days. The picture above shows the view we enjoyed this morning off the back of the boat as we had our coffee in Fort de France, Martinique. Bit chilly though as the temperature was down to 27C and there were a few rain showers, but don't worry we managed. A couple of other pics showing the new neighbourhood. There is a different cruise ship in here every day as one leaves a new one takes its place.



Not sure what these guys are doing exactly as their boat looks like something we used to rescue when I was in the navy but they were fun to watch as they sailed around the anchorage.



After meeting up with Dustin, as shown below, on the 5th of Feb we left Prickly Bay, Grenada on the 7th with our destination Carriacou, Grenada distance of about 40 miles.



From there we moved onto St. Vincent and St Lucia for one night each and arrived in Le Marin, Martinique on the 10th. We actually spent a night in the marina at Le Marin in order to get access to water to clean the boat and fill water tanks before our next guests arrive. This was significant as this was the first night we spent in a marina since leaving Puerto Rico during our first year. Marinas are expensive and usually a hassle so we prefer anchoring (free) or mooring balls (cheaper then marinas).

The seas were rather exciting this trip as the winds were consistently in the 20-25 kt range just forward of the starboard beam, with approximately 6-8 ft seas, 30-50 degrees off the starboard bow. To non sailors these statistics may not mean a hell of a lot, but to folks that sail you get the picture. SeaSparrow handled these conditions well as we averaged over 7 kts each day and often sailed at speeds of 9 and 10 plus knots with reefs in the main and genoa - we were moving. The thing about these sort of speeds when you have waves such as we had is that you also get bounced around a lot. Dustin loved the rough ride and speed and I also enjoyed the trip, although Debbie was a bit less enthusiastic but handled everything like a seasoned sailor that she is now becoming. We did have one experience that was really not fun for anyone which occurred when we arrived in Carriacou after a very long day of rather rough conditions. When we finally arrived at our anchoring position, which is a normally very protected spot named Tyrell Bay, we were given a rather rude welcome. When trying to anchor the winds picked up to over 30 kts consistently and gusts up near the 40 kt mark. After trying for about an hour to get an anchor down in a crowded bay, we bugged out and went around the corner to a place where I knew there were mooring balls. Thankfully there were balls available and the moorings were very secure as the winds did not let up that evening. Roughest night we have had on a mooring ball as the boat moved so much it felt like we were still at sea in rough conditions. Welcome back to your first real day of sailing this season SeaSparrow and crew.

The next day we did go back around to Tyrell Bay and enjoyed a couple of days in Carriacou waiting for the winds to come down a bit. We managed to take Dustin over to one of our favourite spots anywhere in the Caribbean, which is Paradise Beach. This is the place you can buy a beer beside the beach and go for a swim without any hassle. I love this kind of stuff. Here's some shots of Debbie, Dustin, and I along with friends Dev and Joanne from Spray. Dev and Joanne live on Salt Spring Island in BC and own a winery called Salt Spring Vineyards. Nice folks that know their wine - I'm more a drinker than a taster but I get by.




And of course the obligatory bean bag pic. Dev and Joanne come to Nova Scotia every year so hopefully we can catch up with them again in Liscomb this summer.



So here we are in Fort de France, Martinique and what will we do next? Right now Debbie and I have been cleaning like fiends since Dustin returned home a couple of days ago. We have our friends Kevin and Sue and their children Gael and Leigha arriving in a couple of hours. Today is Kevin's 50th birthday and I can think of no better way to spend it then sharing a rum or two onboard SeaSparrow in the Caribbean. Debbie even put the oven to work on a cake.



The MacDougall gang will be with us for a week or so and we plan to hit a few spots here in Martinique depending on the weather. Max flex. After that Debbie and I will continue to make our way north with stops in Dominica, Guadeloupe, and Antigua in the immediate future eventually making our way to the BVI's for the full moon March. Stay tuned.


Jeff
Comments
Vessel Name: SeaSparrow
Vessel Make/Model: Leopard 40 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: Jeff and Debbie
SeaSparrow's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 29 of 29
1
 
1
9 Photos
Created 23 December 2017
16 Photos
Created 20 March 2017
36 Photos
Created 6 February 2017
14 Photos
Created 22 January 2017
15 Photos
Created 2 May 2016
41 Photos
Created 4 April 2016
20 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
22 Photos
Created 14 February 2016
32 Photos
Created 17 January 2016
23 Photos
Created 11 March 2015
38 Photos
Created 5 February 2015
27 Photos
Created 11 January 2015
24 Photos
Created 2 December 2014
31 Photos
Created 11 November 2014
48 Photos
Created 22 March 2014
61 Photos
Created 19 February 2014
43 Photos
Created 6 February 2014
25 Photos
Created 20 January 2014
14 Photos
Created 11 January 2014
55 Photos
Created 31 December 2013
19 Photos
Created 12 December 2013
8 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
8 Photos
Created 9 November 2013