SeaSparrow

23 December 2017 | St Anne, Martinique
20 March 2017 | St Martin
23 February 2017 | St Martin, French Lagoon
06 February 2017 | Brewer's Bay, St Thomas, USVI
22 January 2017 | Culebra, Puerto Rico
02 May 2016 | Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas, USVI
05 April 2016 | Charlotte Amalie, USVI
04 April 2016 | Charlotte Amalie, USVI
09 March 2016 | Simpson's Bay, Sint Maarten
26 February 2016 | Grande Anse D'Arlet, Martinique
14 February 2016 | Fort de France, Martinique
31 January 2016 | Prickly Bay, Grenada
21 January 2016 | Prickly Bay, Grenada
17 January 2016 | Prickly Bay, Genada
01 April 2015 | Port Elizabeth, Bequia
11 March 2015 | Jolly Harbour, Antigua
20 February 2015 | Jolly Harbour, Antigua
05 February 2015 | Jolly Harbour, Antigua
22 January 2015 | Jolly Harbour, Antigua
11 January 2015 | Sint Maarten

Blog Post Part 2 – The BVIs With Sean, Carla, Bev and Shane

05 April 2016 | Charlotte Amalie, USVI
Jeff/ Sunny 90F
Hello Folks,

Time for Part 2 of the blog as we now move to the BVI's and meet up with cousin Sean and Carla, along with our friends the Carsons - Bev and Shane. This was a repeat visit for Sean and Carla as they travelled with us the first year from Puerto Rico to the BVIs but Bev and Shane were first timers. We have some experience with this gang from our time back home in terms of travelling together and having some fun in such exotic places as Harvest Festival in Fredericton and golfing weekend in PEI. This trip followed a similar script with lots of fun and laughs along with the odd drink or two. Due to that odd drink or two bit, this blog will be mostly told via pictures with a bit of narration as the details remain, at least in my mind, somewhat cloudy.

As may be inferred from the lead picture of the T-shirts Sean brought down for this adventure, this visit had a full itinerary which is another reason why it is hard to keep track of everything. While we didn't hit every item on the shirt, we did accomplish most of them making for an action packed 10 day/ 9 night trip for our guests. We travelled the entire length and breadth of the BVIs and then some, with some great sails and rough passages as well. We also secured the boat in a marina, via mooring ball and got to try out our new chain by anchoring. It was busy and a bit of a blur.

The visit started with us meeting our guests in Roadtown, which is the biggest town in the BVIs and on the island of Tortola. Our guests were extremely kind in booking and paying for a marina, Village Cay Marina, on the day of their arrival. This was a treat for Debbie and I as we rarely go into marinas due to the cost and hassle but this was ideal when guests come to the boat. Being in the marina greatly simplified the process of meeting up, as well as getting everyone and their luggage onboard. It also allowed us to give the boat a good cleaning, fill up water tanks as well as give those new batteries a full charge. Upon leaving Roadtown we headed to Trellis Bay in time to get there for the Full Moon Party, which if one applies some logic, happens once a month. The Full Moon Party at Trellis Bay is a big thing and the first time Sean and Carla visited we missed it by one day - not this time. It's a big party which can make for a crowded anchorage as can be seen in the pic below. Eventually we got anchored (first time I was told to move my boat by an air traffic controller from the nearby airport) and enjoyed Trellis Bay.

Crowded Tellis Bay for Full Moon Party


Full Moon parties are held throughout the Caribbean and best I can tell is everyone likes to drink and burn stuff - this one was no different.



Trying out the new shirts:

Bar flies:


Following the party at Trellis Bay we headed to Jost Van Dyke and White Bay that includes the famous Soggy Dollar Bar, as well as one of my personal favourites, Ivan's Stress Free Bar. This guy (didn't get his name) was playing at Ivan's the first afternoon we were there and was awesome.



We spent two nights in White Bay as well as took a cab over to the adjoining bay - Great Harbour. Great Harbour has two spots that we visited the last time we went through there two years ago; Corsairs Restaurant and Bar as well as Foxy's. Corsairs is owned and managed by a great guy named Vinny and he was there to meet us once again. Best food in the BVIs.

Vinny and the girls:


After having dinner at Corsairs we made our way to Foxy's, which is a renowned party spot in the BVIs. Great music and lots of fun and with a picture like this it was the perfect fit for cousin Sean. (By the way Sean we went back to Roxy's after you left and no the bar doesn't have your flip flops either - they gone)

Squirrel Boy:


Next on the shirt we decided to make our way over to Norman Island which is home to the famous William T Thornton or Willie T. This is an old steel hulk converted into a floating bar which strangely enough is also a well known party spot - a bit of a pattern developing here. Last time Sean and Carla visited there was one day that stood out in terms of damage to our livers and painful lingering effects and that was the Soggy Dollar. This time around with this crowd the Willie T did us in. Lots of fun, met lots of wonderful new people, and a SeaSparrow first as not one but two people fell into the water trying to get out of the dinghy and back onto SeaSparrow at the end of the night. Of course Sean would be the first guess and that would be correct, but Bev you also join the SeaSparrow Dinghy Hall of Shame.

Preparing the Shot Board:

Down the Hatch:

Didn't Go Down So Well:

This is what a squirrel looks like after being pulled from the water:

This is what a squirrel looks like after being pulled from the water and given some rum to recoup:

The captain responsibly back on the water:

Shane in the spirit of the evening:

Our new boat guest coco:

aaaaaaand ... I kind of think Bev sums up the end of the Willie T experience better then any words I can find:


Even though the Willie T was a late and damaging night the crew of SeaSparrow, like all good sailors, were up early the next day to sail, or should I say motor, the length of the BVIs from Norman Island in the south to Virgin Gorda in the north. This was not an easy trip as the winds were blowing 20-25 the whole time and right into us so we couldn't sail. Good way to work out the demons from the night before. We took a mooring ball in Leverick Bay and decided we would stay put for the next three days and enjoy my favourite spot in the BVIs. Leverick is great as it has everything a cruiser needs in terms of supplies such as food, fuel, laundry and water, but also has a great resort with excellent dining and a great bar - Jumbies. Jumbies was the bar we frequented the last time Debbie and I were in Leverick Bay, which was during the last Winter Olympics in which the Canadian girls and guys won hockey gold. If you recall my blog on that occasion by the end of the hockey Jumbies had been taken over by Canadians who were in full celebration mode. At that time, after the Canadian men won hockey gold we all signed a Canadian flag and put it up behind the bar. I am happy to report that flag is still there even though the bar has been remodeled - it's the only thing that survived from the walls. The general manager of the place, Kathy, a good Winnipegger, was with us two years ago and is still there and she ensured the flag was looked after.

They clean up pretty good don't they for the day after the Willie T:



After a first quiet night in Leverick the second night we took in a must see show - Michael Beane's Happy Arrrh Pirate Show. Same show every Monday thru Wednesday but it is a must attend if ever in Leverick Bay.

SeaSparrow With Rockstar Jumbies Parking


Love having kids part of the show at any bar I go to:

Debbie with her free drink of rum for the first mates:

Which of our crew can you spot in the Happy Arrrh crowd:

The gang with the pirate himself, Michael Beane - say Happy Arrrh!


Our final day in Virgin Gorda saw us break out the blender for a few Pina Coldas and the obligatory bean bag pics.




Upon completion of our rest and relaxation time in Leverick Bay it was time to head back to Roadtown where our awesome guests took care of another night in Village Cay Marina. Before anyone knew, Shane, Bev, Sean and Carla were on their way back home to the not quite as warm climes of Nova Scotia and Debbie and I are still kind of saying - what happened?

We are now in Charlotte Amalie, USVI awaiting our friends Sebastien and Peggy to arrive tomorrow. Not sure of the agenda for their stay but we will stay in the USVI and see what trouble we can find in this island paradise. We have finally sorted out our plans now for the rest of sailing season which will see us haul and store the boat in Puerto Rico's, Puerto Del Rey Marina. We have booked flights home for the 21st of May which amazingly isn't that far off - time flys when ...


Jeff


SeaSparrow Blog Musical Selection - We're All Right Now - John Hiatt
Comments
Vessel Name: SeaSparrow
Vessel Make/Model: Leopard 40 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: Jeff and Debbie
SeaSparrow's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 29 of 29
1
 
1
9 Photos
Created 23 December 2017
16 Photos
Created 20 March 2017
36 Photos
Created 6 February 2017
14 Photos
Created 22 January 2017
15 Photos
Created 2 May 2016
41 Photos
Created 4 April 2016
20 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
22 Photos
Created 14 February 2016
32 Photos
Created 17 January 2016
23 Photos
Created 11 March 2015
38 Photos
Created 5 February 2015
27 Photos
Created 11 January 2015
24 Photos
Created 2 December 2014
31 Photos
Created 11 November 2014
48 Photos
Created 22 March 2014
61 Photos
Created 19 February 2014
43 Photos
Created 6 February 2014
25 Photos
Created 20 January 2014
14 Photos
Created 11 January 2014
55 Photos
Created 31 December 2013
19 Photos
Created 12 December 2013
8 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
8 Photos
Created 9 November 2013